Chickens Sleep On Top of House

ItsFitting

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
My chickens are nuts. Through rain, ice cold temps and howling winds, the **** things insist on sleeping on TOP of the house. We have adjusted the roosts to try and make them happy, but to no avail. I usually end up, if the weather is terrible, having to take them off the top of the house at night and put them inside the house. SO ANNOYING. 1) They have taught the new chicks to sleep up there and 2) their poop is ruining the roof of the house.

Anyone have any pointers for my SUPER weird chickens?

Thanks!!!

Ashley
www.its-fitting.com
Twitter - @itsfitting
Facebook - www.facebook.com/itsfitting
Instagram - ItsFitting
Pinterest - ItsFitting

First make sure that nothing is trying to get into the coop at night. Something digging or trying to get in could have spooked them in the first place. Then you have to make them a run as I am sure the coop is not big enough for the next step. The easiest way to make a run is to use deer netting (thin plastic in garden center at lowes. $13 for 7'x100'. This is not strong enough to keep predators out but is cheap and strong enough to keep the chickens in. Keep them locked in the coop and run for an entire week. They will give you the stink eye and may even growl at you and try to sneak out when you go in to refill feed and water. Every night pick them up and place them on the roost then lock the door. Wait for an hour after normal to let them into the run so they have time in the morning to survey their coop and get used to it again. After the week you can resume normal free ranging, most if not all will start roosting in there again. You can always repeat if needed.

So even though they already have a closed in coop? I guess my question is that they have a fairly big run, but from what I understand I should make that smaller so they can't get onto the roof? Lordy :) They are going to HATE ME. :-D I"ll keep everyone posted!!

Yes, you are resetting their habits. In the long run they will forget all about it but for the time being it's like training school for dogs. They are smart creatures.

Back
Top Bottom