Chickens Started Laying Eggs!

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
What a happy few days it’s been! Our two White leghorns chickens have started laying. We’re still waiting on two others to lay but it’s been a great few days! Finding your first eggs is not like any other! It’s such a joy!!!

Stella and Vanilla are our two White Leghorns who started laying on Sunday (the 15th) and are 22 weeks old. They both laid on the same day too! Just waiting on our two Rhode Island Reds to start, Cinnamon and Clementine. They’re both 22 weeks old as well. My prediction is that Cinnamon will start before Clementine.
8ADA61AF-C705-45F1-B3F1-CAB68C790ABF.jpeg

here she is looking at her creation!
5B6A8A93-ADFB-4514-934A-A4C6D97931D4.jpeg
B2C0CE9C-D3E7-4A63-9691-0552732461A8.jpeg
A6236DEB-8E21-4831-98E6-542CD3DCAF4A.jpeg
1FD2A70E-4576-4816-9F2D-528CA7784F7B.jpeg

here’s the rest of the flock!
0E45CF0C-90A9-4B6D-A53C-A11A9320568F.jpeg

Congratulations! My baby is 28 weeks and I’m starting to wonder if she’ll ever lay ☹
I’m sure she will soon! I’m wondering if she may start in the spring? I’ll tell you a few things I did to help encourage my chickens to lay. I have lights set up in their coop (except the lights don’t work right now lol), I put LOTS of golf balls in their nesting boxes (4 in one nesting box, 3 in another, and 2 in the other one - they choose the 4 golf ball nesting box most!) I also feed them chick starter to give them more protein and a boost as I accidentally took them off of it too quickly when they were younger and it’s really helped with growth (especially in their wattles and combs!). Trust me, I didn’t think our girls would lay until at least the end of next month but here we are -
4 pearly white eggs!!! I’m sure she’ll start soon! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :fl

Adding the golf balls to their nesting boxes almost made it seem like my girls said: “Oh my goodness! I need to lay soon! I have to add to that clutch of eggs!!!” Lol anyway just a few things I’ve done that may help you. Also giving plenty of grit and oyster shells.

I’m sure she will soon! I’m wondering if she may start in the spring? I’ll tell you a few things I did to help encourage my chickens to lay. I have lights set up in their coop (except the lights don’t work right now lol), I put LOTS of golf balls in their nesting boxes (4 in one nesting box, 3 in another, and 2 in the other one - they choose the 4 golf ball nesting box most!) I also feed them chick starter to give them more protein and a boost as I accidentally took them off of it too quickly when they were younger and it’s really helped with growth (especially in their wattles and combs!). Trust me, I didn’t think our girls would lay until at least the end of next month but here we are -
4 pearly white eggs!!! I’m sure she’ll start soon! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :fl

Adding the golf balls to their nesting boxes almost made it seem like my girls said: “Oh my goodness! I need to lay soon! I have to add to that clutch of eggs!!!” Lol anyway just a few things I’ve done that may help you. Also giving plenty of grit and oyster shells.
I’ve been doing all of that except for extra light. They have lots of fake eggs get feed a variety of things including grit. But thanks for suggesting! I do hope she lays though. This is her!

Attachments

• E04F735A-E61D-478A-BAD8-AAA0AB280EB3.jpeg
    E04F735A-E61D-478A-BAD8-AAA0AB280EB3.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 3
I’ve been doing all of that except for extra light. They have lots of fake eggs get feed a variety of things including grit. But thanks for suggesting! I do hope she lays though. This is her!
She’s gorgeous! It looks like she’ll be laying soon. Watch for lots of comb and wattle development. Once it gets big and bright red, you’ll know that egg laying is just around the corner!

She’s gorgeous! It looks like she’ll be laying soon. Watch for lots of comb and wattle development. Once it gets big and bright red, you’ll know that egg laying is just around the corner!
It is starting to get bigger and brighter. The nesting box looks like it was messed around with so hopefully she’s getting ready! (Sorry the picture isn’t good she doesn’t like me lol)

Attachments

• 66982F9D-DC12-48F7-8318-FFC9A35BC34C.jpeg
    66982F9D-DC12-48F7-8318-FFC9A35BC34C.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom