Chickens still not laying

Ok, I'll pick up some grower this weekend. BTW ... what about my rooster? Do I need to somehow feed him differently once I switch back to layer?

There are two camps on that - the yeses and the nos. I am a "yes" person myself.
The excess calcium in layer feed is not healthy for any non-laying bird - males, young females, molting females or older females who are past production, etc. It does build up in the body and contribute to things such as kidney damage. For this reason, a mixed flock is most easily managed in the healthiest way possible for ALL birds by feeding a non-calcium enriched feed (ie grower, all flock, etc) and providing calcium for the taking by laying birds in the form of free choice oyster shell. The argument of the "no" camp is that they feed roosters and other non laying birds layer all the time and never see any problem -- well, the damage to the birds is internal and the visible sign of such damage only comes when the bird dies. You would only see that excess calcium may have played a part in that death if a necropsy were performed. *Most* folks just assume the bird died because it was time for it to die and don't realize that while the bird did live, say, three years it may have lived years longer were it not suffering from underlying health issues caused by an improper diet.

Well, I feel a little stupid. I just looked back at one of my earlier posts when they were 7-8 weeks old, that was in October. So that would make them closer to 5 months old .... Guess I'm anxious lol. But to answer your questions. I have two RIR and one Blue Andalusian. I have a light on in the coop for warmth and I swapped over to laying crumbles about a month ago. Don't know what I was thinking!!!

Well, I feel a little stupid. I just looked back at one of my earlier posts when they were 7-8 weeks old, that was in October. So that would make them closer to 5 months old .... Guess I'm anxious lol. But to answer your questions. I have two RIR and one Blue Andalusian. I have a light on in the coop for warmth and I swapped over to laying crumbles about a month ago. Don't know what I was thinking!!!

What type of light are you using? The lights used for heat (in SW LA and with fully feathered birds over 6-8 weeks of age supplemental heat is unnecessary, btw) are different from the lighting that would be used for adding hours of "daylight" to encourage production.

Honestly, it seems your birds just aren't ready yet - given that they are maturing during the time of year where light is compromised by season, a bit of a delay to the onset of production is not at all unusual and, even if this were the heart of summer, they are only just now at the age where you might begin to expect to see the onset of laying.

X2
I'd lose the heat. Chickens (like all animals) need a dark period and don't need heat.
I'd go back to grower feed till you start getting eggs. 5 month birds in January will probably commence in a month or so.

As exciting as it is waiting for the first egg don't be surprised if they make you wait until spring :) My very first batch was split down the middle. Some started right before winter and the rest waited until spring.

Yeah, I was thinking about ditching the light ... that's just a habit I had when I first got em. Again, not sure where I got the eight months old from?!?! But after re-figuring their age I agree that it will probably be spring before I get any eggs ... and that's fine, until then I'll just watch and enjoy chicken TV. :)

Is there a big difference between grower and laying feed? Sorry ... never had chickens before.

Probably wishful thinking.

Days are getting longer so it might not be that long.
Watch for the combs and wattles to grow and get brighter red.

As for the difference between feeds, yes, huge difference.

Most chickens need similar nutrients but the difference in most feeds will be protein percentage and calcium percentage.
Most feeds range from 15-22% protein and that is intended for specific ages. Higher protein for young birds building bodies. As they approach maturity, not so much protein. When lay commences, 16-17% is good.

Calcium is a different matter. Layer feed is 4% calcium. All other feeds are about 1% calcium. A bird not actively producing egg shells shouldn't be getting the high percentage in layer feed. Their kidneys can be overwhelmed. Some birds can handle it but better not to take the chance because they show no symptoms if getting renal failure and gout. They just die.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom