chickens still sick

goose chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Stark County, OH
Hi! I need help please...I wanted to update & ask for help. I have one full size chicken 4weeks old & 6 Bantams 3months all different breeds..After recieving them I noticed sneezing so I gave the duramycin. Then a few days later I noticed alot of blood in poop but couldn't figure out who plus several were lathargic. So since they had been together I went ahead & have been treating them all with corid 2tsp per gallon for cocci. I have now noticed that a few seem a bit better but can tell by how they are acting that a few who didnt seem sick now are. Also while cleaning the pine shaving today. (I do this everyday) A couple had pure caramel colored diarreah. I was told to treat with corid for 7days instead of 5 since some still don't seem well but I am thinking of going ahead and treating with sulmet even though I don't want to. Should I give them a few days with probiotics & electrolytes in their water to give them a break from all the meds? Or just retreat with corid in a few weeks instead? I don't know what to do.
barnie.gif
Could it be something other than cocci? I haven't seen any more blood at all. I did have to bring the silkie in & seperate her because she had been throwing up & shacking her head alot due to a sour or impacted crop.(Treating her for that now) Boy have I learned a good lesson. I will stick to hatchery chicks if I ever get chickens again. I really want to help these girls they are our pets & I want to try to save them. I know that they are carriers of sicknesses now but I will not get anymore chickens until these girls are gone. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry that you are dealing with all of the illness. Caramel colored diarrhea sounds like a cecal poop which is normal for every 9th or 10th bowel movement chickens have. Corid is better for treating coccidosis than Sulmet, plus Sulmet can be hard on their kidneys. If I were you, I would treat them with vitamins and probiotics in their water for 7 days, then if you still feel they are sick, re-treat with 1/2 strength Corid for 5 days, and repeat the vitamins/probiotics. Sour crop or crop stasis can accompany coccidiosis. I would not treat chickens with antibiotics just for sneezing, but if more respiratory symptoms occur (eye or facial swelling, thick nasal secretions, eye drainage or pus) then I would treat with a stronger antibiotic such as Tylan Soluble Powder in the water, or Tylan50 injections. Here is a link for the "poop chart:"http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
Hi there,

As the user above has said the I would not worry about the caramel color it is pretty much normal.

The symptoms you describe do not sound like coccidiosis to me. It sounds more like a bacterial infection with some secondary necrotic enteritis or vice verser, Both of which to me would warrant a 3 day course of Anti-biotics such as Octacillin or Amoxinsol.

Thanks so much I need all the help I can get. I already have fallen in love with them I really hope they all get better. Now I need to figure out how to post pictures on here.

Well it depends what type of duramycin you gave them
tongue.png
You may have treated the enteritis I don't know....If your not seeing effective results with the duramycin or corid I think you have reason to treat with some Anti-biotics.

All the best,
AP

Duramycin is and antibiotic, it's tetracycline.

-Kathy

Sorry if i was not clear. Its worth trying Pleuromutilins rather than Teracyclines as they are only effective against MG and CRD its worth using something like Denegard which is effective against a wide range of mycoplasma'sand CRD's/

Rather than switching from one drug to another, I think it's would be best to take a nasal swab and stool sample to a vet a have them check it for bacteria and parasites, then you know what to buy.

FYI, Duramycin-10 is used to treat more than just MG and other respiratory diseases. Personally, I don't use it, I use Baytril, Clavamox and Tylan. I don't use Denegard either, but hear that it's a pretty good one for some diseases.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom