chickens still sick

Thanks eggcessive..I have had a crazy day & have not been able to reply until now. Before I saw that you had responded... I woke up this morning & her crop didn't go down thru the night. :( so I again messaged it but was glad she wasn't throwing up. I gave her the baking soday/water to drink. She finally pooped this morning from yesterdays little bit of food. As the day went on it seemed to empty up. I know alot of people vomit them but because since we have had her she has vomited alot on her own I just don't feel comfortable doing it unless I have to. I gave her maybe about 2tsp of her crumble mixed with some plain kefir smoothie into a mash. She was home alone today as I had to leave but when we returned i noticed she had pooped a bit. :) I then gave her about the same amount 6 hrs. later. So far she hasn't done the neck shaking. Now that I saw your reply I hope that wasn't to much calcuim for her. She is resting with no jerking of the head or slapping her beak together. I just went outside to check on the others & now one of the cochins who was being treated for cocci is now opening and closing her mouth like she is trying to get air but cant. Oh dear lord this is crazy!! I have no idea what to do & feel like she may not make it until morning.
hit.gif

Maybe you can syringe feed the little cochin some Corid. Hopefully she has been drinking, but if not, maybe you can get some into her. Remember these chicks have had 2 major illnesses, so you may lose one--but I sure hope not. Threads on sour crop treatment are all over the place--give ACV, don't give ACV, give this, give that. It is confusing will all of the differing opinions. I am posting another thread that is good, read posts # 13 and 15 from SpeckledHen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/614951/help-me-with-sour-crop-please/10

Are they still on Corid? Do you think the little cochin is having a relapse of the respiratory problem? Maybe give her some leftover Duramycin? Make sure she is warm--sometimes they need a little extra heat when sick. Sure hope you can get her to pull through.

I just brought her inside where I have the silkie but they are in different rubbermaid containers. She just ate some food but not drinking as of yet. I can't believe she is even eating she acts like she is choking to death. I really don't think she is gonna make it. I will give her the duramycin I hope she will drink some.

Do you have any Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer (or any other?) If you have any of the first two, give her 1/4 cc or ml right away. Gapeworm is very rare, and respiratory distress can look just like it. The best treatment for gapeworm (I have read here on BYC) is Levimisole. Read posts 13 and 14 in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602699/worming-chickens/10#post_7931055

Chicks that *need* worming should be weighed on a kitchen scale in grams and dosed by their weight, but only worm them if they look stable. The Valbazen effective dose for a 2.2 pound (2200 grams) chicken is .2ml and the Safeguard dose that my vet recommended for a 2.2 pound chicken is .5ml. If you need help calculating doses for chicks, just let me know how much they weigh and what wormer you have... I have wormed many chick, poults, quail and peachicks this way.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I think it is respitory thing..Gave her 2ml of duramycin while her mouth was open gasping for air. She then ate a little bit of food soaked in more duramycin last night & again at 3:00 am but was able to get 6ml in her then. This morning she didn't seem to be struggling as bad but after trying to give It to her again she is struggling really bad It seems I stressed her out. :( think I am going to go try to find the Tylan at TSC. Now I have to figure out where my response from dawg53 is when he gave me the proper dosage for the tylan before so I can give it to her by mouth.
hmm.png

Tylan50 dosage is 1/4 cc/ml for a silkie as a shot into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. Dawg53 has recommended that it can be given orally, but be very careful not to choke her. The shot should be given with a 22 gauge needle, and alternate sides daily.

Back
Top Bottom