chickens still sick

What do you mean to alternate sides daily? :/ I just got to the store to buy the Tylan 50 The chicken I have to give this medicine to is a young bantam cochin she is less than 3months I believe I am still waiting on a txt message to confirm her actual age. Where would I find a scale for these bantam chickens to weigh them? Can you give 1/4cc to a young one?

I just answered my own question. I know now you were meaning if I put it in her breast. She is still young and doesnt have much breast I am going to administer it in her mouth but I still am unsure as to how often and how long I should give it to her?

I meant to alternate sides of the breast for injections, but she may be a little young for shots. Get some syringes and needles, but check her breast muscles when you get home if there isn't muscle there, I would either give it orally, or as some people on here recommend just under the skin in the back of the neck (haven't done that to a chicken myself.) the dosage may need to be only 1/8 of an ml/cc since she is small. Postal scales can be purchased at WalMart or office stores, and inexpensive ones are okay.

Tylan is given daily for 5 days. Some sites or people will give larger doses sometimes twice a day, but most on BYC recommend once a day. The dosage is flexable, and hard to overdose, but is 5 mg per pound. Tylan 50 is 50mg per ml/cc. So she may only need 1/10th of a cc/ml.

Thanks Eggcessive you have been so helpful. Could I try the 1/4 cc orally for now ya think? Before I left I went out to check on the others and heard some more sneezing I am wondering if the duramycin didn't work well even for the others? But one good thing is I don't see any more blood from the cocci. Also I think I am going to put the silkie back out with the others the kefir smoothie seemed to totally help her sour crop issues. I will know for sure in the morning that will make it 3 days of no problems with her. Now to go help the cochin. My husband isnt to thrilled with 2 chickens in the house.
roll.png

Thanks Eggcessive you have been so helpful. Could I try the 1/4 cc orally for now ya think? Before I left I went out to check on the others and heard some more sneezing I am wondering if the duramycin didn't work well even for the others? But one good thing is I don't see any more blood from the cocci. Also I think I am going to put the silkie back out with the others the kefir smoothie seemed to totally help her sour crop issues. I will know for sure in the morning that will make it 3 days of no problems with her. Now to go help the cochin. My husband isnt to thrilled with 2 chickens in the house.
roll.png
Oral dosing is probably not as good as giving it in the muscle, so I would say it probably wouldn't hurt. Good to hear about the silky. You have sure had your hands full.

I noticed as she isn't doing well this morning either. She looks like she is dying. If she makes it thru the day I will give her another dose of the Tylan this evening. Now I am worried about the other 6 I hear more sneezing & the D'Anver's one eye is half open. (No puss,redness, runnyness, or stratches) :/ Should I retreat the whole group with another does of Duramycin? I think I didn't give them the proper dosage for the first three days before. Then once I saw it on BYC I switched it but It may not have been long enough. :( I had to start treating for the cocci because there was so much blood. Now that that part is over hopefully... they have been on probiotics water one day, electrolyle another day, & some ACV today. Plus I am feeding them food mixed with kefir smoothie since it is so much more beneficial than yogurt. I have plenty of the Tylan but were talking about 6 birds orally.
barnie.gif
I couldn't find the powder type? I feel so bad these girls have been on some type of meds since I got them. My husband just spent so much time & money making me a new run around our smaller coop that already has a run attached for the young girls. The bigger coop is being used for my three 2 yr. old girls. I am nervous now because they are connected. I have never let the sick girls out into the small run as of yet. I have to go into the bigger run to get to the smaller coop & run to change the bedding everyday & I am doing it as careful as I can.
hmm.png
So what would you do?

Duramycin can be mixed stronger or weaker. If you have Duramycin 10 it will tell you on the label either to add 1/2 TB or 1 TB per gallon--mix up the more powerful dose. If you have Duramycin just follow the directions to make the strong mix. Also if you can order the Tylan powder online, you could use the Tylan50 until it comes. Honestly your older girls may already be exposed. It is hard not to track these things on your shoes, or get it on clothes, hands, etc.Since they will eventually be merged I assume the others will be exposed eventually. Here is the Tylan link: http://www.amazon.com/Tylan-Soluble...4538841&sr=8-1&keywords=tylan+powder+for+dogs

Back
Top Bottom