Chickens stopped laying

coffee

Chirping
9 Years
May 27, 2011
We went out of town for 3 days and asked a neighbor to feed our New chickens while we were gone, they failed to do sošŸ˜”, they had just start laying maybe for two weeks. They stopped laying about three Days after we got back and have not started back. Is been 2 1/2 weeks. What can I do to get them laying again.

We went out of town for 3 days and asked a neighbor to feed our New chickens while we were gone, they failed to do sošŸ˜”, they had just start laying maybe for two weeks. They stopped laying about three Days after we got back and have not started back. Is been 2 1/2 weeks. What can I do to get them laying again.
That stinks!
How old are the birds, in weeks or months?
About all you can do is wait.

Seems your neighbour is not very reliable. I would be finding someone else to look after your chickens next time. Did they have any reason for their neglect? I had a similar situation with a pair of zebra finches while at school. I went away for a week and my housemate was supposed to feed and water the birds. Well she didn't. They stayed alive long enough to take their last breaths when I got home :mad: I can tell you I was pretty angry! No excuse. She was living right there in the house for goodness sakes!

Anyway, I am glad your chickens are okay and that they recover soon and start laying for you again.

Welcome!
Rotten behavior on their part! Your birds will recover, just keep good food in there, and water, and then it will take however long it takes. They may also molt, don't be suprised.
Are you feeding layer feed? I'd change to an all flock or chick feed, 20% protein-ish, and have oyster shell in a separate dish for when they are back laying eggs.
Mary

Really sucks that your neighbor would be so unreliable!

In the future, especially for short trips, best to have ample food and water available, then you don't really need to rely on someone else to take care of that. I had my neighbor come to take care of my birds while I was gone for 3 days, but literally all she did was get eggs, open/close doors - I had a week of food and water in there.

We have two different people, at least, who will check on our critters. And everyone is left with plenty of food and water, so friends and family are there to collect eggs for themselves, and call for help if there's a problem. Numbers for veterinarian's on the board in the barn; different for horses and cattle, and pets, and family to reach if we aren't in phone range.
We do this for each other, so fair trade all around.
I took a friend's horse to Michigan State one Thanksgiving, when they were out of phone range, and he had an emergency eye injury (ALL eyeball issues are emergencies!). Served Thanksgiving dinner, on-call vet ate his, and we met at the vet clinic immediately after.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom