Chickens that are of age, still not laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ficklchickens, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ficklchickens

ficklchickens New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    i have two easter eggers (winnie and mary) and a buff orpington (sara) who are all about 25-26 weeks and still no eggs :( my buff orpington is nice and red. im sure this is normal because the weather is still a bit chilly and the days are short and what not, but when did everyone else start getting eggs from fall born chickens???? im getting antsy

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The latest I've raised chicks has been in the summer. I don't think they will lay till its March or April.

3. whitney556

whitney556 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    Georgia
    Our chickens were hatched in Oct. so I know what you mean! We have one buff orp. girl, 1 cochin girl, and 4 Australorp girls. The buff orp. still has pale comb but my cochin's comb is still very tiny but getting very red, and all the astralorps combs are getting larger and a little bit redder. I'm so ready for eggs already but they don't seem to be anywhere close to laying yet :(

4. Ann10

Ann10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    My Buff Orpingtons started laying around 30 to 33 weeks.

5. coni55087

coni55087 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Minnesota
    My ee didnt start laying till 30 weeks one not till 35 weeks buy she was the hen at the bottom of pecking order

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Point of lay can vary quite a bit with EE as they are mixed-breed. One of my EE started laying at 24 weeks and the other at 30 weeks. If the BO has a bright red comb, she should be laying soon. You also have increasing daylight hours in your favor.

Are any of the pullets squatting when you approach them? Many (but not all) pullets will begin to squat down 1 to 2 weeks before they start laying, so that would be a good sign to look for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by