Chickens that are of age, still not laying???

ficklchickens

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
i have two easter eggers (winnie and mary) and a buff orpington (sara) who are all about 25-26 weeks and still no eggs :( my buff orpington is nice and red. im sure this is normal because the weather is still a bit chilly and the days are short and what not, but when did everyone else start getting eggs from fall born chickens???? im getting antsy

Our chickens were hatched in Oct. so I know what you mean! We have one buff orp. girl, 1 cochin girl, and 4 Australorp girls. The buff orp. still has pale comb but my cochin's comb is still very tiny but getting very red, and all the astralorps combs are getting larger and a little bit redder. I'm so ready for eggs already but they don't seem to be anywhere close to laying yet :(

Point of lay can vary quite a bit with EE as they are mixed-breed. One of my EE started laying at 24 weeks and the other at 30 weeks. If the BO has a bright red comb, she should be laying soon. You also have increasing daylight hours in your favor.

Are any of the pullets squatting when you approach them? Many (but not all) pullets will begin to squat down 1 to 2 weeks before they start laying, so that would be a good sign to look for.

Back
Top Bottom