Chickens that rarely lay?

Just get a breed you want.
If you get too many eggs give them away.
Free fresh eggs are a good way to get others interested in keeping chickens or gets good eggs to ones that can't keep their own birds.
I do sometimes but I really don't know enough people to give eggs to or what to put them in to give them away. Egg cartons cost money although not much. Would you use cartons or something else?

Free eggs also keep the neighbors happy! 😊
That's true 😂 but I live in a very rural area where the only "neighbors" are family and half of them have their own chickens! I do give them away sometimes to those that don't have chickens but it's not enough to keep up with it. I currently have 8 dozen eggs in the fridge and only 7 actively laying hens 🙈

I do sometimes but I really don't know enough people to give eggs to or what to put them in to give them away. Egg cartons cost money although not much. Would you use cartons or something else?

Once people in the neighborhood, at your workplace, at church, etc. know that you have eggs they will flood you with egg cartons.

I had a Sebright hen that was a consistent layer that laid one day everyday of the week. I notice toward beginning of fall that when her production falls short to once every few days.
Wow I hope my new girl is got will do that for me. I want to breed her and the males are only fertile in the summer at 85-90 degrees. Otherwise you have lower then low hatching rates.

If you have a dog(s), they will help solve your over abundance... also if there are any animal rehabbers they will (at least where I live) will gladly take your extra eggs for meals as they provide a ton of protein. Worse comes to worse chickens love eggs but, crack them and mutilate the shell so they do not begin associating their own eggs as food.

Back
Top Bottom