chickens very sick!

These are updated pics tonight. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and the cloudiness has resolved. I am now pretty sure whatever it is the worst symptom is the swollen gooky eyes, which in turn causes them to go without food or water, which I believe caused the dehydration and the combs falling over (three of the four have thier combs standing up again).

I havent seen anything that looks like the fowl pox pictures. ..I truly believe the little spots I saw were actual scabs from them fighting. ..I saw them fighting the other day :-/

Hopefully it's not, it's hard to tell from pics... The second set doesn't look like it.. From the pics I've seen they look like little black warts, sometimes in clusters.... If they've been fighting, I wonder if she got pecked in the eye?

I thought that too..but I had a d'uccle chick with one eye swollen a few weeks back, and the one that died yesterday had both eyes swollen. ..and this one has both swollen as well. Still no response from the vet :-(

This looks like a respiratory disease such as coryza or mycoplasma (MG.) Coryza usually has a bad odor. With either of these diseases, they can have other secondary infections. When chickens are ill they can be pecked by other chickens, which could account for the black spots. Here is a good link to read about the respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom