Hen suddenly very sick, do you know what is wrong with this egg??

Sylver Queen

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hello all,
I've got an 11-month-old Blue Andalusian pullet who is suddenly trying not to die. Found her in the nesting box at bedtime count with a purplish comb and droopy wings. When I brought her in just now albumen squirted out of her, and this morning someone had dropped a yolk from the roost. I've been seeing eggs here and there for around two weeks with some odd material outside them, then she just laid the egg in the pic after I brought her in. Anybody know what is wrong or if there's a way to support her through this?? She just laid it and her comb is brightening and she wants out of her cage, but I think I'm going to work on her indoors before letting her back out because it'll probably happen again. It looks like a casing with albumen OUTSIDE a fully formed egg. Any way to help her oviduct stop doing that??

Thanks for any info. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240327_032112673.jpg
    PXL_20240327_032112673.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240327_032053219.jpg
    PXL_20240327_032053219.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That is known as an egg within an egg, one of many different abnormal eggs. It happens when an egg is produced and during a contraction when another yolk is produced, the first egg goes backwards in the egg tract, and becomes enclosed in the new shell. Here is a picture and explanation in this article:
https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

@Ponypoor just had an egg like this. I do not think she figured out what caused it.

For crop issues, here's links to two very informative articles that will help if you have questions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
Thank you! I will go take a look at the other egg case. :) Her crop is good now and she's back out for today, hoping she doesn't go down again with subsequent eggs. :/ I'm going to keep researching how I can help her. My oldest hen is trying to start laying for the season and is not doing well, so now SHE'S in the crate indoors, but hoping they all make it through. I don't like reproductive issues because it feels like there's so little I can do to help them other than quality feed, which I always provide, but I guess it's part of the deal.
Thanks again. :)

Hello all,
I've got an 11-month-old Blue Andalusian pullet who is suddenly trying not to die. Found her in the nesting box at bedtime count with a purplish comb and droopy wings. When I brought her in just now albumen squirted out of her, and this morning someone had dropped a yolk from the roost. I've been seeing eggs here and there for around two weeks with some odd material outside them, then she just laid the egg in the pic after I brought her in. Anybody know what is wrong or if there's a way to support her through this?? She just laid it and her comb is brightening and she wants out of her cage, but I think I'm going to work on her indoors before letting her back out because it'll probably happen again. It looks like a casing with albumen OUTSIDE a fully formed egg. Any way to help her oviduct stop doing that??

Update: She also has sour crop, working on treating that now.

Thanks for any info. :)
Here is the egg my barnyard mutt pullet laid, she has been laying soft eggs and been egg bound for a while now. She gets calcium every other night.

An egg in an egg is how I would explain it.
69035F9E-E07F-4C5D-8340-C82320824C3A.jpeg
0025F974-266D-40C7-93D3-5D8FF0513D6A.jpeg
8C22C84A-CCB7-40D6-9083-B224FA16A95E.jpeg

After I removed the outer membrane the inner egg appeared almost normal, and when I cracked it open it had a normal yolk.

Here is a link for some reading material on laying eggs like this.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/eggs-meat/how-a-chicken-lays-an-egg-inside-of-an-egg/

Thank you! I will go take a look at the other egg case. :) Her crop is good now and she's back out for today, hoping she doesn't go down again with subsequent eggs. :/ I'm going to keep researching how I can help her. My oldest hen is trying to start laying for the season and is not doing well, so now SHE'S in the crate indoors, but hoping they all make it through. I don't like reproductive issues because it feels like there's so little I can do to help them other than quality feed, which I always provide, but I guess it's part of the deal.
Thanks again. :)
Give your older hen a calcium citrate +D pill for a few days. You can find it at any Walmart, dollar general, etc. in the vitamin/supplement section

Here is the egg my barnyard mutt pullet laid, she has been laying soft eggs and been egg bound for a while now. She gets calcium every other night.

An egg in an egg is how I would explain it. View attachment 3783982View attachment 3783983View attachment 3783984

After I removed the outer membrane the inner egg appeared almost normal, and when I cracked it open it had a normal yolk.

Here is a link for some reading material on laying eggs like this.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/eggs-meat/how-a-chicken-lays-an-egg-inside-of-an-egg/
Wow, thank you for sharing!! I'm hoping this isn't my lady's new normal. :/ I hope yours feels better!

Give your older hen a calcium citrate +D pill for a few days. You can find it at any Walmart, dollar general, etc. in the vitamin/supplement section
Thank you! You're right, I remembered that she is the one I manually feed calcium to since she gets the same feed as everyone else but always has thinner shells, so I just gave her the oyster shell I had on hand and she ate it. I'll try the supplement too, thanks!

That is known as an egg within an egg, one of many different abnormal eggs. It happens when an egg is produced and during a contraction when another yolk is produced, the first egg goes backwards in the egg tract, and becomes enclosed in the new shell. Here is a picture and explanation in this article:
https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/
Thanks - interesting!

Not sure why my pullet is laying soft eggs she isn’t a production breed and is fed layer ration and has the run of my horse barn - I am going to research this drop egg syndrome they mention.

Back
Top Bottom