Hen suddenly very sick, do you know what is wrong with this egg??

I had a hen do this as well. I'd give the calcium supplement and keep a eye on her. My hen started to bleed after these types of eggs. I ended up loosing her to internal bleeding. Make sure she's not giving off a infection smell. If she is start her on antibiotics asap. Otherwise I would give the calcium and watch her carefully. My hens case is likely a extreme. Hopefully the calcium will do the trick. Keep us posted. How old is she?

I had a hen do this as well. I'd give the calcium supplement and keep a eye on her. My hen started to bleed after these types of eggs. I ended up loosing her to internal bleeding. Make sure she's not giving off a infection smell. If she is start her on antibiotics asap. Otherwise I would give the calcium and watch her carefully. My hens case is likely a extreme. Hopefully the calcium will do the trick. Keep us posted. How old is she?
Thank you for the info!
My older hen who often has thin-shelled eggs (since she was 2 years old) is now 7 years, and has been exhibiting good health of late, but I have had to bring her in in previous years due to laying issues. She has recovered from everything so far, so here's hoping I can get her through this one and more calcium will do the trick. ❤️

My younger pullet is 11 months and I thought she was laying fine during the winter, but has laid several "eggs within an egg" now and I'm hoping I don't lose her to this condition. No infection smell and I've got antibiotics ready if she gets worse. Thanks!

Thank you for the info!
My older hen who often has thin-shelled eggs (since she was 2 years old) is now 7 years, and has been exhibiting good health of late, but I have had to bring her in in previous years due to laying issues. She has recovered from everything so far, so here's hoping I can get her through this one and more calcium will do the trick. ❤️

My younger pullet is 11 months and I thought she was laying fine during the winter, but has laid several "eggs within an egg" now and I'm hoping I don't lose her to this condition. No infection smell and I've got antibiotics ready if she gets worse. Thanks!
How are your hens doing? I am still getting soft and brittle eggs here and there.

How are your hens doing? I am still getting soft and brittle eggs here and there.
Thanks for asking! I always like it when people update and I forgot. ;) They are both magnificently recovered, and it was definitely reproductive issues. Once the young hen got her double-egg out she was fine and I have not noticed any more double eggs. My older hen was on death's door by the look of it, and I was concerned she had gotten peritonitis so I did a week of tylosin. She needed it syringed into her mouth the first two days then was eating it in a mash I made, then she was ready to rejoin the flock! She is vivacious and chatty and someone is still laying yolks into the nesting boxes 🤦‍♀️ but I am watching them all like a hawk and all is well so far.

Some weeks back I was concerned that my special needs hard-of-seeing pullet was feasting on oyster shell (before she was laying) in lieu of grit, so I started scattering oyster shell for the rest to find and providing a bowl of grit instead. Well I'm pretty sure they weren't getting enough calcium even though they're on a complete feed, so once I replaced the bowl of oyster shell (little pullet is laying now) their symptoms improved. Live and learn. ;)

I hope your ladies' systems smooth out too! I hear shell issues could also be caused by an imbalance of phosphorus or vitamin D or some other imbalance, so maybe local weather or something dietary is affecting them? Sometimes they're also just old. I wish you and yours the best! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom