Chickens were Hurricane Victims too!

Here is one of my RIRs and Production Red.

37500_sdc10242.jpg

This is my Production Red named Shadow.

37500_sdc10315.jpg

This is Angel one of my RIRs.

We had no trouble at all catching them...my Aunt, Uncle, DH, & I watched them get in the underbrush (right at dusk) and plotted the ones to grab...as dusk fell to darkness, we just each grabbed one by their feet and put them all in a dog crate! It was over in less than 5 mins! Was a fun time!

According to my Aunt and Uncle, they are all gonna be from any number of variations of RIR and BO. No pure BO though...Roos are all either RIR or RIRxBO.

So how old do you think they are?

Last edited:
La.Mad-House :

We had no trouble at all catching them...my Aunt, Uncle, DH, & I watched them get in the underbrush (right at dusk) and plotted the ones to grab...as dusk fell to darkness, we just each grabbed one by their feet and put them all in a dog crate! It was over in less than 5 mins! Was a fun time!

According to my Aunt and Uncle, they are all gonna be from any number of variations of RIR and BO. No pure BO though...Roos are all either RIR or RIRxBO.

So how old do you think they are?

I would say 7-8 months old. Are you going to catch anymore? If so, how many?​

Might get 2 more, but that would be it, due to the limited space I have. This is my "Urban" Flock!

Now that I can see them better (I was in town earlier on my BlackBerry and pics were small
wink.png
), Goldie still looks like a BO to me and she is probably anywhere from 18 to 20 wks. old or so judging by the size of her comb and wattles not being in quite yet. I do agree with Maxx about the Production Reds because of the black in the tails. The RIR's do not have that black and are generally a deeper redish / brown color. I can't guess on their age really. All I can say is they look old enough to be laying.
smile.png

Told you 2 or 3 wouldn't be enough!
wink.png

Thank you all for your kind wishes.
hugs.gif

Now if we can just get them to roost on the bar. They like to huddle up on a hollowed out tree stump in the run area which is not protected from the dew that falls during the night. The roost bar is a 2x4 with the edges rounded off (4" side up), and stands about 28" off the ground. It's the highest area in the coop. I really want to use the deep litter method but poop all around the stump won't make that easy. The stump only stands about 6" high, so maybe if I knock that out, they will use the roost bar
fl.gif
... one of the girls did hop on it yesterday...but when no one joined her, she jumped off and joined the others on the stump.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom