Chickens with Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jill Richardson, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Jill Richardson

Jill Richardson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    I just got my 4 buff orps (3 pullets and a cockerel, a few mos old) about 3 weeks ago from a nearby farm. In the first week I noticed 1 pullet had infected ears and was sneezing, and after a week like that I took her to the doctor. I noticed shortly thereafter that my little roo was sneezing too, and now I saw another pullet sneezing as well. But that doesn't worry me so much. I gave the one with the infected ears a week of antibiotics at the vet's instruction.

A week ago, I built them a coop. Then it started raining. Tons and tons of rain for 6 days straight. On most days I let the chickens out of their coop to run around if they wanted to (they had a shaded area too if they wanted to stay dry. Today the rain stopped and I resumed working on the coop (it's done enough that they can sleep in it but not done) and today I noticed that several chickens have diarrhea. Not all of them bc I see normal looking fresh poops around the yard. But more than one of them have it. Very runny. Any ideas?

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    usualy that means they're dehydrated

3. Jill Richardson

Jill Richardson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    Quote:Makes sense. They spent a few days in their coop and when I let them out this AM they were very thirsty and I noticed they had dumped their water container that was in the coop upside down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by