Chickens with foamy and glued shut eyes???

abirdsong18

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2020
I’m fairly new to the chicken world but have been around and taken care of others’ chickens most of my life.... I’ve scoured the internet & family for help but everything I’ve read is missing what my chickens have.

I have 13 chickens that are 8 months old - 2 buffs, 3 barred rock, 5 Americaunas, 3 black copper marans.

3 weeks ago we started getting weird shaped(pointy) eggs that I believed to have been from a buff (Who has runny poops). Then we got “rubber eggs”. I upped the calcium Available and gave apple cider vinegar.
Now... we have no more runner eggs but seem to have CRD. However, there’s no signs of actual respiratory distress YET. cousin gave us some Enroflaxacln 20% to put in water. Seemed to help but now 5 girls have their eyes sealed shut from goop. The Marans & barred rocks seem to be fine. The americaunas are having a TOUGH time. They started with the foamy eyes and now they’re sealed, like a bad case of eye goop from a cold... what do I do?! I live in southern Oklahoma so it’s chilly, they have good vent, heat lamp in a large area....

I’ve read about homeopathic things, antibiotics, is there a spray I can use?? Anything would be helpful. Also something I could order online or get from a vet would be best - our TSC has nothing to help.:fl

Photo is from how it started. It looks pretty gnarly now... will try to get a pic in the morning.

Attachments

• 519CFA08-9F24-4664-A197-3BB88E8666BB.jpeg
    519CFA08-9F24-4664-A197-3BB88E8666BB.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 9
There are a number of respiratory diseases that include infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, ILT, and a few others. Infectious bronchitis can cause sneezing and egg shell problems. MG can cause watery or foamy eyes, sneezing, swollen faces, and sinus infection. Diseases can sometimes occur in twos. Testing would need to be done to know exactly what is going through your flock.

Enrofloxacin is banned in chickens to help control antibiotic resistance, but is still sometimes prescribed for certain hard to treat infections. It, as well as Tylosin, doxycycline, and a few others can help treat symptoms of MG.

Enrofloxacin is best given orally instead of the water since it tastes bad and chickens do not drink well when sick. Toss eggs for at least 2 weeks. I would close your flock to any birds coming in or ever going out of your flock to control the spread. Some recommend culling sick birds. If the birds recover, they may be fine, but MG stays in the body for life, and makes them carriers. If you should lose one or cull one, I would contact the state vet to get a necropsy. Then you would get a diagnosis. Here is a link where to find your state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Here is a good article showing possibles signs and treatments of MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

There are a number of respiratory diseases that include infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, ILT, and a few others. Infectious bronchitis can cause sneezing and egg shell problems. MG can cause watery or foamy eyes, sneezing, swollen faces, and sinus infection. Diseases can sometimes occur in twos. Testing would need to be done to know exactly what is going through your flock.

Enrofloxacin is banned in chickens to help control antibiotic resistance, but is still sometimes prescribed for certain hard to treat infections. It, as well as Tylosin, doxycycline, and a few others can help treat symptoms of MG.

Enrofloxacin is best given orally instead of the water since it tastes bad and chickens do not drink well when sick. Toss eggs for at least 2 weeks. I would close your flock to any birds coming in or ever going out of your flock to control the spread. Some recommend culling sick birds. If the birds recover, they may be fine, but MG stays in the body for life, and makes them carriers. If you should lose one or cull one, I would contact the state vet to get a necropsy. Then you would get a diagnosis. Here is a link where to find your state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Here is a good article showing possibles signs and treatments of MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

I was thinking it may be MG but still haven’t heard a cough or crackle or sneeze... I’ve been watching them very carefully. Either way, where can I get Tylosin? Does it need to be an injectable??

I so appreciate your input! I’m going to try the neosporine tonight. That’s been the hardest part to treat - in humans i would Normally just do a hot compress LOL. But I didn’t want to damage their skin.
As far as the Enroflaxcin, should I try to use it? It’s a powder. I’ve heard more about Tylosin so I’d like to get some of that. I don’t have any birds coming or going, just my 13... how do I keep them healthy from now on?!

Also, do spots on their comb indicate an issue?? I know they can pale when sick but one of them has some black spots?

Enrofloxacin is a better antibiotic than tylosin. I don’t know too many dosages of the different forms of enro, but with the 10% liquid, the dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight twice a day for 5 days. What is the dosage of your tablets? Is it 10mg tablets?

Tylosin is usually given orally. The soluble powder is sold on pigeon sites and the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days.

Enrofloxacin is a better antibiotic than tylosin. I don’t know too many dosages of the different forms of enro, but with the 10% liquid, the dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight twice a day for 5 days. What is the dosage of your tablets? Is it 10mg tablets?

Tylosin is usually given orally. The soluble powder is sold on pigeon sites and the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
This is my poor girl this evening😭 how can I get her eye in-stuck?! @Eggcessive

Attachments

• F6EDCA49-4A3B-46A3-9E3A-695FF82603F3.jpeg
    F6EDCA49-4A3B-46A3-9E3A-695FF82603F3.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 8
Take a warm wet washcloth and hold it to her eye for a few mintputes to soften the crusty drainage. Then clean it out with saline and put some Terramycin or triple antibiotic ointment in it twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom