Chickens with lice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geordonbuck223, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Geordonbuck223

Geordonbuck223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    I have 11 chickens and I have noticed they all have lice! What should I do

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Is it officially lice or is there a chance it's mites? Do you see egg clusters at the feather bases?

3. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    They are red ish orange they look like lice to me what do mites look like

4. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    I'm 95 percent sure it is lice

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get some poultry dust or 5% Sevin and dust them.

-Kathy

6. nicole camp

nicole camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    When you dust your birds make sure to put it around the vent and under the wings. Avoid contact with the eyes.

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf (this may help you)

Mites can be black or red. Lice move fast, mites move slow. I've used the Sevin dust and I currently use permethrin. There's a powder form and a concentrate.

Other people may recommend DE as it's more "natural", but I have never had success getting rid of bugs with it.

8. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Below is a link to one of the things (Elector) which is supposed to be effective in battling external parasites, with the bonus that it is approved for use with poultry. The active ingredient in that treatment (Spinosad) is also found in oral medications for fleas on dogs, and I've read it is also used on humans for lice.

Natural remedies include dusting with things like DE, wood ash, sulfur powder. Of those, Sulfur powder is probably the most effective, and can be bought as a "feed-grade" powder or crystal, which can also be added to feed in tiny quantities (about 3 lbs per ton) ... it's in Feather Fixer poultry feed ... to help control external parasites. Feed-grade Sulfur powder is "bee friendly" and doesn't require a withdrawal period for eggs or meat.

I gather whatever treatment you choose your bugs might develop a resistance, so rotating through different treatments might be necessary to fully eliminate the pests. Repeated & frequent treatments will likely be necessary.

http://www.elanco.us/pdfs/USPBELS00010_Elector-PSP_Northern_Fowl_Mite.pdf

There are other options which are not approved for use on poultry that lots of people use on their birds ...

You can read more about Spinosad here:

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2476&Itemid=2745

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    DE is a waste of money, IMO.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I couldn't agree more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by