Chickens won’t go in their coop at night

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So it’s been since Monday of this week then I’ve been letting my chickens out and in. I’ve had to bring them in since Monday. Before Monday I had kept them in the coop for three days. They still haven’t gotten the idea of going in a ball outside. When I put them in they just huddle in about too and don’t roost. They are five weeks old today. Should I keep doing what I’m doing and they will eventually learn how to go in and roost?

So it’s been since Monday of this week then I’ve been letting my chickens out and in. I’ve had to bring them in since Monday. Before Monday I had kept them in the coop for three days. They still haven’t gotten the idea of going in a ball outside. When I put them in they just huddle in about too and don’t roost. They are five weeks old today. Should I keep doing what I’m doing and they will eventually learn how to go in and roost?
Yes, or you can teach them with dried mealworms. Shake the bag and give them some during the day. Shake it in the evening and throw some in the coop for tham to follow.

Also make sure the coop isn't too hot and stuffy. Sometimes they sleep in the run because it is nice and breezy out there, but yours are probably just young and need some training.
Yea it has been extremely humid here but I leave both the coop windows open . They are just over 5 weeks old. It rained yesterday here for a little and they never went under cover just stayed out in the rain so they were probably hot

Yea it has been extremely humid here but I leave both the coop windows open . They are just over 5 weeks old. It rained yesterday here for a little and they never went under cover just stayed out in the rain so they were probably hot
Maybe, but they aren't always the smartest. Especially at that age. I have some older girls that roost in the run in the summer and inside in winter. They didn't go inside last night when it was raining heavily.

Back
Top Bottom