Chickens wont use sand bath

LeGardenChicken

Chirping
Jan 23, 2017
Australia
Hi there, recently I made my flock a dust bath put of sand. The problem is they hate it. When I place one of the chickens in the bath they run out even if I put sand on them. Am I doning something wrong? HELP

Hi there, recently I made my flock a dust bath put of sand. The problem is they hate it. When I place one of the chickens in the bath they run out even if I put sand on them. Am I doning something wrong? HELP

I never give my chicks a "dust bath" while they are in the brooder---they get that when they are moved to the dirt. So to answer your question---I would not want someone putting dirt on me!!

Last edited:
Most chickens like dryer dirt than sand for dust bathing. Mine make their own by digging down in a bare patch of soil. You might try making it out of different materials. Doing a search of this site should get you some good additions like peat and wood ash.

Chickens will use a dust bath when necessary. They do it to control external parasites, so a chicken without them won't necessarily take a dust bath.

A little portland and some water mixed in with the sand would make things interesting.
Stop, someone might believe you.
1f609.png

Don't try to dust bathe the chickens, they'll do it on their own when they need it as long as they have decent spot of dry ground to dig in.

I tried making a wonderful bathing area with lovely materials.....pffft....they dig their own holes, ignored all my efforts.

Joe you are SO full of ...malarkey.......but almost always make me LOL.

Folks DO NOT follow any of Joe's advice!!

Oh, I don't know - I kind of liked his alarm clock idea. He just needs to work on improving the snooze option.
lau.gif

Don't try to dust bathe the chickens, they'll do it on their own when they need it as long as they have decent spot of dry ground to dig in.

I tried making a wonderful bathing area with lovely materials.....pffft....they dig their own holes, ignored all my efforts.
Ingrates!

Back
Top Bottom