Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What a lousy week for you! Did you lose all of Bryant's RIRs? Any idea what it was? Owl? I know we had 5 hawks fly over our yard yesterday in just 2 hours.

I have some bantam blue salmon favs in the bator now if you need any. I think you have 2 also.

Didn't get the adult trio they are in the mini bus, but all the offspring, about 10, that were in the barn, got all of those. The young RIR's that are 4 months old are still in the chick room, so have 6 in there. We would have been more PO'd if they got Bruno, bad enough all the runner's are gone.

Think both flying and ground. We have seen a good sized pair of owls hanging and hawks too. Have spotted everything on this road for ground predators too.

She did lose Hunter, the little blue salmon male, she was using him for showmenship too. Also lost the splash male.

Oh, I am so sorry. Something has got to be done with the boom in flying predator populations. The F&G has to give permits to folks that use their animals as part of our income. I have been taking pics of everything I find that a predator gets. I even had a hawk get into a covered run and kill! Now if that were a person coming into your home, you could shoot them with less repurcussions than shotting a darn hawk! They have made such a rebound and judging from the amount of squirrels and chipmunks and mice (especially all the ones in my basement traps) the hawks are killing the easy targets and not the rodent populatins. I drive route 3 every day to work and there are literally a hawk avery 500 feet...so much for being territorial. And the funny thing is, the power lines have about 50-100 pidgeons sitting right there!

Quote:
I don't know how many favs Sarah wants to keep, but I have the 10 bantam blue salmon eggs here that all seem to be developing. You have 2 more up there. They're from Gayle and Norman Pontious. They have some very nice bantam favs, and unrelated to the ones you have now. I only got them to see if I could hatch out another splash salmon girl for the kids, to replace their favorite Cutie Pie who was taken by a hawk. So I will have plenty of extras (if all goes as planned) if Sarah wants to pick out any she would like.

sorry to hear about everyone's bad luck with the hawks and owls. i've been disappointed when i've come out of the garage after changing out my birds water dishes to see 6-12 hawks flying over head
hmm.png
makes me want to keep them in there year round instead of moving them to their summer coop this weekend!

i do have some good news! i had one chick hatch out on friday and another hatched today! i would have had a third but moma hen crushed it
sad.png
she still has 6 more eggs to go! one chick is a fav with 5 toes on one foot and 4 toes on the other. the other chick looks black with 5 toes on each foot, looks like it has the beard, but didn't get any fluff on the legs!
hu.gif
i have no idea who the parents are but i am sure it is a fav cross egg of some sort! i marked the egg with an 'F' when i collected it but i also have some cochins running in with them. could 2 feather footed birds produce an occasional chick with no foot feathering?
idunno.gif

Quote:
I don't know how many favs Sarah wants to keep, but I have the 10 bantam blue salmon eggs here that all seem to be developing. You have 2 more up there. They're from Gayle and Norman Pontious. They have some very nice bantam favs, and unrelated to the ones you have now. I only got them to see if I could hatch out another splash salmon girl for the kids, to replace their favorite Cutie Pie who was taken by a hawk. So I will have plenty of extras (if all goes as planned) if Sarah wants to pick out any she would like.

Candled them tonight and have several that are starting to show good signs will candle and cull in a few more days, we don't cull too early unless the look rotten
smile.png
Sarah said she would like to grow out a few of the Blue Salmons, when we talked about cutting back the first breed she said she wanted to keep were her faverolles. She doesn't show them much yet they are not there yet but coming. Her main faverolles didn't get hit, so bobby and honey, her two pals are still out there, they are in the cages up off the ground. The high cages are great makes them more predator proof, but not as fair to the birds not to get on the ground as much, this year going to add on to them and make out runs with a ramp and still close them in at night and that is still a risk. Love to have them free range as much as possible but hard to do that. The dog went crazy today barking at everything she knows something is up.

Quote:
Didn't get the adult trio they are in the mini bus, but all the offspring, about 10, that were in the barn, got all of those. The young RIR's that are 4 months old are still in the chick room, so have 6 in there. We would have been more PO'd if they got Bruno, bad enough all the runner's are gone.

Think both flying and ground. We have seen a good sized pair of owls hanging and hawks too. Have spotted everything on this road for ground predators too.

She did lose Hunter, the little blue salmon male, she was using him for showmenship too. Also lost the splash male.

Oh, I am so sorry. Something has got to be done with the boom in flying predator populations. The F&G has to give permits to folks that use their animals as part of our income. I have been taking pics of everything I find that a predator gets. I even had a hawk get into a covered run and kill! Now if that were a person coming into your home, you could shoot them with less repurcussions than shotting a darn hawk! They have made such a rebound and judging from the amount of squirrels and chipmunks and mice (especially all the ones in my basement traps) the hawks are killing the easy targets and not the rodent populatins. I drive route 3 every day to work and there are literally a hawk avery 500 feet...so much for being territorial. And the funny thing is, the power lines have about 50-100 pidgeons sitting right there!

I hear ya. If they attack with the dog out there she will bring them down if she gets ahold of them. The night predators know she is not out at night.

Quote:
If any are duds I'll bet they're the bantam blues, because I didn't know she was hiding them. EVERYTHING here so far has developed.

I'm really glad to hear Bobby is okay. She can take whatever she likes from the bantam blue salmons. They have blue salmon roos over blue salmon hens so we should get the whole range of colors.

Quote:
I hear ya. If they attack with the dog out there she will bring them down if she gets ahold of them. The night predators know she is not out at night.

In his younger days Dutch was an excellent watch dog, especially at night even while he was indoors. We never lost a bird at night while we were home. He heard/smelled any disturbance and would wake us. Only time we ever lost anything at night was when we were away.

Unfortunately now he can't hear very well and never wakes up at night.

I went down to the lower coop to lock everyone up, I noticed I cannot see my black modern hen (the one from you Jackie) , I noticed the water dish is upside down on the pen, so I go flip it over with my foot and out from under that comes a runnin my silver crele OEGB hen, scared the crap outta me. I scoured the pen and still cannot find my modern hen, I am so upset and to make matters worse, when I went into the coop, there on the floor dead was my black serama roo! I had just cleaned out the coop yesterday and put in clean shavings, I did notice a lot of feathers in the coop like a bird got pannicked. Do you think it possible that something got thru the chain link and took her and killed the roo in the coop?? There are areas along the fence parameter that the birds have hollowed out the last few days to dust bath, so I put a log thee so nothing could get under the fence. The pen is covered with a double layer of deer netting that is zip tied every 4" or so with a lot of over hang.

Sorry to hear about all your preditor issues. We don't have any large land predators here. The biggest we have are raccoons. Though, I saw a huge hawk yesterday doing a fly over. The girls I got from keesmom ran for the shelter of the rhodedendron. (They are doin great btw. Lay an egg each everyday. Still living in a seperate house though. The other girls are having a hard time adjusting.) The others who are dumb as posts sometimes, were oblivious and were annoyed i was putting them back in the coop.

They had little tiny adorable banty chicks at the feed store today. All different colors. Including some grey blues. Alot also had feathered feet. I should have taken a picture. Any guesses what they could be? The young man at the store said they were a grab bag mix. But they were all supposed to be girls. As the story goes, I don't have room for any more .....really. But they are soooo cute
big_smile.png

Quote:
Raccoons are bad enough! Glad to hear the girls are doing well. Around here everyone learns to keep an eye out for hawks.

BTW, none of the hatcheries sex the bantams. They're all sent straight run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom