Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have one girl like that right now. she just got done with brooding and raising 2 chicks for nearly 2 months. she went back to laying for about 2 weeks and now she's broody and sitting on what i think are dud eggs that i placed under her a week ago. one may be hatching any day now but i am not holding out for it. i guess i won't be selling her off if she is this reliable as a broody moma! if none of these eggs hatch for her i will give her some more and separate her so she is satisfied with more chickies to raise!

I have a little barnyard bantam broody who always hides her eggs in some dark corner of the barn, and disappears for three weeks... then shows up with a batch of week-old peeps. I hate letting them loose in the barn because I always worry they'll get eaten by weasels, so when the broody typically appears with her secret family, I put them in a big brood cage (I use several rabbit hutches I keep in the barn) and they stay there till the chicks are able to fly to the rafters for the night.

If anyone wants some cute barnyard bantams, I always have a "crop" of them every year.
tongue.png

Howardacres, I e-mailed you back about the ducks. Thanks!

I went to the coop this morning and she is sitting on those eggs like a trooper! There is even a wild turkey egg under her that a friends dog brought to her. I think it got chilled and is a dud, but figured I will leave it for another week and candle it and see. She is a great broody, it is just that everything she broods for all the other chickens always seem to hatch out at odd times and I cannot get to them before they get trampled. So from now on I am going to put her in this cage with her feed and water as soon as I see her go broody. I will keep you all posted.

Great news and great idea. That is what I do. When my girls go broody , I move them and their clutch inside in the brooder box. Has worked great and so, so much easier to keep tract of the little dudes hatching.
Quote:

Quote:

It is so hard because they must hatch out under her in the night and wiggle their way out onto the floor of the coop and when the others come down I think they must land on the chicks. So heartbreaking to find them on the coop floor, but I think this will work out good, plus she can eat and keep her weight on.

I have a friend that is loosing her home to foreclosure. She has asked me to take her Blue and Gold macaw because she does not know where she will end up living. I have the bird with me now and he is a 5 year old DNA sexed male. Large vocabulary and in excellent feather and condition. He is very loveable once he gets familiar with you. He will come with his HUGE cage, play stand and lots of toys. She is looking for a moderate price to help her get started someplace else. If you all could please pass this info along perhaps we can find someone for this gorgeous bird. I will include a picture so you have an idea of how big the cage is and see how pretty the bird is.
17950_p6020065.jpg

17950_p6020057.jpg

Oh my gosh darbella, that is a gorgeous macaw. If I kept my house warmer and had the $$, I'd make an offer. I'm sorry about your friend losing her home. It must be such a trauma, for her, including being separated from her parrot family member.
sad.png

I think you could get him for a steal! gardenergal, they can actually tolerate a cool room, it is a draft that kills birds, as well as any animal for that matter. i have other birds and my house is very cool in the fall and winter months. I cover their cages at night and make sure they are away from any windows and doors that may be opened in the cold weather. Patty, I think you could get him for a really great price. She is getting desperate and i need my room back so i could tell her it would be an awesome home and I am sure she would work something out with you. I know she was willing to work payments if I had wanted him, but I am sure she would do that with someone else. Her main requirement is that the bird have a great home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom