Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Pics
Awww. Probably a good decision. I'm sure you will, but just remember to carefully screen your golden breeder-with them being so popular and all, there are a lot of shady figures that don't seem shady! Sorry, I also have an obsession with responsible vs irresponsible breeding. I flipped out yesterday when I heard my family friends are considering breeding their two different breed dogs. Hybrids can be great, but, blah blah blah, long story, I feel like it's too easy for them to be improperly bred. If/when you do get a golden, post photos!!!
Of course! This is a breeder that we've used and had great success with in the past. They also have limited their puppy sales to repeat customers, and they're currently getting ready to confirm a pregnancy in one of their dogs. We are trying to get a puppy from their next litter.

This is not an issue. Police dogs are bought as adult dogs with the majority of their training done. They cost many thousands of dollars. The breeders who raise these dogs raise them in a very special way, by the time they are 9 weeks old, they have been more socialized and exposed to more things than many people's pets. Any dog that is not suited for protection work is easily identified by the time they are 12 weeks old and are in high demand for other kinds of work.

The standard is the "Rule of 7s" By 7 weeks (better before) the pups have walked on 7 surfaces (grass, dirt, gravel, carpet, linoleum, concrete, wood, variable surface, etc), been in 7 different places, been handled by 7 different people, played with 7 different toys, heard 7 sounds (bangs, garage door opening, phone ringing, the vacuum, etc) and they are evaluated right from the start, both formally and informally.

Like this;

Please note, when you watch the video, that the dog at the end is NOT being struck, and is wearing a special collar, and is obviously NOT bothered or traumatized by anything happening, but is totally happy and focused.
How is it that you know everything about every animal ever? Witchcraft!

replan your life, dogs rule
The biggest issue is prey drive....how the heck am I supposed to have several coops worth of birds without a dog stalking them 24/7? Can super high level obedience training overcome the urge to chase birds? What about cats? They're also very high energy, and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to give them the proper time for fetching, swimming, hiking, etc. I think that most breeders are breeding for the working dogs, and I'm not really sure if they have that whole show vs working line thing.

My dog can’t be trusted with guinea pigs, quails or chicks, she has no interest in most birds but I still would not trust her with any small animal so I am used to keeping them a part, and she is hard to train wants-to-please-her-self type dog, she knows when I can’t reach her before she has done what she is not supposed to do, but thats one of the things a love about her :love. thank you for telling me your experience:)

My dog has a prey drive but she is very bad at finding the rats and mice, when she sees one she will go after it, but I need a dog who will be able to actually find it and kill it, is she just abnormally bad at it? Or would some breeds be better at finding the rats not just killing them?

If I get a dachshund from a rescue/any breeder would they still be good at ratting? I don’t really like the wire haired ones my favourite ones are the long haired ones which I presume are bred mostly for show/pet rather then ratting.
Some dogs rely more on their EYES rather than their NOSE. (Like yours.) You CAN teach them to find rats (or anything else using their NOSE.) There are even trials now where dogs can earn titles for finding rats! You would really need to talk to the breeder. But I would THINK that they would still retain a lot of the instinct to use their nose since they ARE hounds. It all just depends on the individual. Our cattle dogs use their noses!

The biggest issue is prey drive....how the heck am I supposed to have several coops worth of birds without a dog stalking them 24/7? Can super high level obedience training overcome the urge to chase birds? What about cats? They're also very high energy, and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to give them the proper time for fetching, swimming, hiking, etc. I think that most breeders are breeding for the working dogs, and I'm not really sure if they have that whole show vs working line thing.

You can train your dog to NOT go after your chickens.

you just need early exposure. from the day you bring your dog home, expose it to your chickens, feed it treats for ignoring the chickens, and don't ever leave the dog alone with chickens. Same deal with the cats :)

They are high energy, I am a pretty busy person, and I still get my dogs energy out. You will be fine with a game of fetch and some training on the weekdays, and hikes for swimming and playing (maybe with some dog friends?) on the weekends. If you can, get into a class for a sport. Whatever you can find near you. you don't need to know a lot about the sport to participate, they will teach you. Usually lessons are during "free hours".. after work hours or on the weekends.

Try to find a show line breeder, I know they exist

https://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/

Breeder referral : https://nsdtrcusa.wufoo.com/forms/z1d9zola0fzpx8l/

Some dogs rely more on their EYES rather than their NOSE. (Like yours.) You CAN teach them to find rats (or anything else using their NOSE.) There are even trials now where dogs can earn titles for finding rats! You would really need to talk to the breeder. But I would THINK that they would still retain a lot of the instinct to use their nose since they ARE hounds. It all just depends on the individual. Our cattle dogs use their noses!

Its called barn hunt, if you are interested

Hey D I have a 1 year old German Shepard that I bought a few months ago. We're having a hard time training him to not bark at the goats as they pass by in the morning. also he lunges at the chickens when he's on a leash. One time a chicken got out while he was on a walk (without leash) and he chased the chicken......He likes to lunge at their enclosure, too. Any ideas?

You can train your dog to NOT go after your chickens.

you just need early exposure. from the day you bring your dog home, expose it to your chickens, feed it treats for ignoring the chickens, and don't ever leave the dog alone with chickens. Same deal with the cats :)

They are high energy, I am a pretty busy person, and I still get my dogs energy out. You will be fine with a game of fetch and some training on the weekdays, and hikes for swimming and playing (maybe with some dog friends?) on the weekends

Try to find a show line breeder, I know they exist

https://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/

Breeder referral : https://nsdtrcusa.wufoo.com/forms/z1d9zola0fzpx8l/
Should I do that with real golden puppy and not just imaginary future toller puppy?
How would I keep a dog and cat separate if they're both sharing the same house? I can't constantly be there.
Thank you for the links!

Back
Top Bottom