Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Pics
out of sheer curiosity, what breeds DO fall into that category?

I understand about the LGDs, but why the huskies? I know plenty of people that have them, and they seem pretty popular. Unless I'm thinking of a different subcategory of the breed or something... (not why not huskies for apartments, why not huskies for pets in general)
Large dogs. When my 90# GSD goes number 2, I really don't want to have to shovel that up and carry it around.

And there are different kinds of huskies. You are thinking of Siberian huskies, who have been bred to be pets. Active, independent pets, but pets nevertheless. I said Alaskan husky;
https://www.adn.com/resizer/3Lm2XIZ...ads/2017/03/21173151/Iditarod-2017-SS-034.jpg
The dogs that run the Iditarod
This dog doesn't look double merle, But it is. It doesn't have the pink pigment, but the entirety of the dog, besides the face, is white. BAD! View attachment 2556843
I'm sorry, but this is terribly, terribly wrong. That dog is absolutely NOT a double merle and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
Collies, both Rough and Smooth, come in 4 colors. From the breed standard;
Color: The four recognized colors are "Sable and White," "Tri-color," "Blue Merle" and "White." There is no preference among them. The "Sable and White" is predominantly sable (a fawn sable color of varying shades from light gold to dark mahogany) with white markings usually on the chest, neck, legs, feet and the tip of the tail. A blaze may appear on the foreface or backskull or both. The "Tri-color" is predominantly black, carrying white markings as in a "Sable and White" and has tan shadings on and about the head and legs. The "Blue Merle" is a mottled or "marbled" color predominantly blue-grey and black with white markings as in the "Sable and White" and usually has tan shadings as in the "Tri-color." The "White" is predominantly white, preferably with sable, tri-color or blue merle markings.
You just happened to come across a picture of a Blue Merle and White. Here, from the Collie club of America website, is a picture of a Sable and White
white_collie.jpg
yes! the german shepherd dog is the only breed of dog with the word "dog" in their name!
Bernese Mountain Dog, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Carolina Dog, Australian Cattle Dog, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Karelian Bear Dog, and many more. Also, Inu means dog, so Akita Inu, Shiba Inu, etc.

If I were to get a merle puppy would I ask for one with a small amount of white on the face? Can you do that?

you really cant

they usually choose the dog for you

USUALLY dogs with a white face are fine, the breeder just really have to know what they are doing and there IS a chance of deafness. A reputable breeder will usually color test their dog and wont breed a dog with a lot of white on the face to another dog with alot of white on the face

I'm sorry, but this is terribly, terribly wrong. That dog is absolutely NOT a double merle and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
Collies, both Rough and Smooth, come in 4 colors. From the breed standard;
Color: The four recognized colors are "Sable and White," "Tri-color," "Blue Merle" and "White." There is no preference among them. The "Sable and White" is predominantly sable (a fawn sable color of varying shades from light gold to dark mahogany) with white markings usually on the chest, neck, legs, feet and the tip of the tail. A blaze may appear on the foreface or backskull or both. The "Tri-color" is predominantly black, carrying white markings as in a "Sable and White" and has tan shadings on and about the head and legs. The "Blue Merle" is a mottled or "marbled" color predominantly blue-grey and black with white markings as in the "Sable and White" and usually has tan shadings as in the "Tri-color." The "White" is predominantly white, preferably with sable, tri-color or blue merle markings.
You just happened to come across a picture of a Blue Merle and White. Here, from the Collie club of America website, is a picture of a Sable and White
nvm. I screwed up

Back
Top Bottom