Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Ok, I have a difficult question. My 5.5 month old puppy will eat poop 🤮 DISGUSTING!!!!!
I've never had to deal with this one. Not just chicken poo, but my other dog's poo!!! I absolutely lose it when I see her. I'm nervous to ever take my eye off her outside but just can't watch her every single second when I'm doing chores. I've resorted to a muzzle (rubber caged kind so she can drink and still get treats) but I HAVE to break this habit! I can handle all kinds of behavior and medical issues but this one is really really really difficult for me to handle mentally. I've never had to muzzle a dog, but I just have no idea what to do.
I have added in a supplement to everyone's food to deter this but it's not working so well, obviously.

I should add it has improved with a lot of work and training but I have not figured out what triggers it. I try to keep up with cleaning up the yard, dog and chicken poo, but inevitably miss some. She does not eat her own, rarely eats my other large dog's poo but seems to like my smaller pups who has liver disease and eats a different food so I try to diligently watch her and pick it up right away as I know that must be hard to resist a different flavor🤢🤢🤮

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Edit: Muzzle ONLY goes on when I catch her in the act of eating it. NOT every time she goes out!

Last edited:
Ok, I have a difficult question. My 5.5 month old puppy will eat poop 🤮 DISGUSTING!!!!!
I've never had to deal with this one. Not just chicken poo, but my other dog's poo!!! I absolutely lose it when I see her. I'm nervous to ever take my eye off her outside but just can't watch her every single second when I'm doing chores. I've resorted to a muzzle (rubber caged kind so she can drink and still get treats) but I HAVE to break this habit! I can handle all kinds of behavior and medical issues but this one is really really really difficult for me to handle mentally. I've never had to muzzle a dog, but I just have no idea what to do.
I have added in a supplement to everyone's food to deter this but it's not working so well, obviously.

I should add it has improved with a lot of work and training but I have not figured out what triggers it. I try to keep up with cleaning up the yard, dog and chicken poo, but inevitably miss some. She does not eat her own, rarely eats my other large dog's poo but seems to like my smaller pups who has liver disease and eats a different food so I try to diligently watch her and pick it up right away as I know that must be hard to resist a different flavor🤢🤢🤮

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Edit: Muzzle ONLY goes on when I catch her in the act of eating it. NOT every time she goes out!
Do you have a 'leave it' command?

Do you have a 'leave it' command?
Yep! She is great with leave it! And she will; spit it out when I say it. She is also good with her recall and no commands.

This is a "catch her in the moment because somehow she knows I'm not looking" issue at this point. My concern is, why does she continue this nasty habit when she very clearly knows it is unacceptable to me? Any dog I've ever had likes/wants to please. I know she is an English Mastiff so a bit more stubborn than a lot of breeds. But this is my third one but the only one who seems to not care!

No actual answers, but a few thoughts:

My concern is, why does she continue this nasty habit when she very clearly knows it is unacceptable to me?

I have read that some dogs eat poop when they are not getting enough of something in their diet. (I've also read that some dogs just do it anyway, and I have no idea how to tell the difference.)

This is a "catch her in the moment because somehow she knows I'm not looking" issue at this point.

Attaching her to you with a leash the entire time she is outdoors might make it easier to catch her in the act. (Of coruse I can think of many reasons this might not work-- if she drags you around, if she goes outside without you, if you want her to run but do not want yourself to run, and so forth. But leashing the dog to the person is often helpful when it is possible.)

Back
Top Bottom