Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Day 2 :
Should his legs be more bent? I am very unexperienced with showing...
I have no idea what I am doing. :oops: :idunnoAny tips to improve this?
9C096A94-C9A4-48A2-B360-6A0073522D37.jpeg

Day 2 :
View attachment 2722936
He looks good! You've overextended his back legs a liiiitle bit- the hocks should be at a 90 degree angle to the ground. Try to keep him looking forward, and make sure that his paws are facing forward, not turned out.

So I'm getting better at stacking Finn but when I move my hand to grab a treat out of my treat pouch, he steps out of the stack and I can't give him his reward....any ideas to fix that???

You could use some signal that means "good job, now I'll get you a treat" (clicker or marker word), and then give him the treat no matter what he does after the marker.

Or you could try hiding the treat in your hand while you're stacking him (depends on the treat, your hand, and what motions you need to do to stack him.)

You could use some signal that means "good job, now I'll get you a treat" (clicker or marker word), and then give him the treat no matter what he does after the marker.
Ooh that's a good idea
Or you could try hiding the treat in your hand while you're stacking him (depends on the treat, your hand, and what motions you need to do to stack him.)
I need to touch his face so I can't do that, he'd figure it out

Day 2 :
He looks good! You've overextended his back legs a liiiitle bit- the hocks should be at a 90 degree angle to the ground. Try to keep him looking forward, and make sure that his paws are facing forward, not turned out.
Also, make sure that his legs are lined up with each other, and are squarely under his hips and shoulders- not too far apart and not too close together.

Also, make sure that his legs are lined up with each other, and are squarely under his hips and shoulders- not too far apart and not too close together.
Ok!:D

If you're having trouble moving his legs, then hold his face under his chin and turn his head in the direction away from the foot that you're trying to stack- this will shift his weight onto the opposite foot and make it easier for you to lift the one that you're trying to. When you're done with that food, make sure to put his head back on center so that he puts weight on it.

Ooh that's a good idea

Read up on "clicker training," because that's where I stole the idea from ;)

You have to start by teaching the dog what the click is for-- click and give a treat, and repeat quite a few times.

Once the dog knows that click means "a treat is coming," you can click when the dog does the right thing, and then he knows which thing earned the treat (so it doesn't matter if he moves while you're grabbing the treat.)

Some people use clickers, some click their tongue, some use a "marker word" instead (yes or good or some other word that is short and easy to recognize. It's probably best if the word doesn't get used too often in normal conversation.)

Back
Top Bottom