Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Any double coated dog breed (regardless of if the outer coat is wire or not) that gets shaved loses the heat and cold protection that the coat gives it.
I assume that whatever care is appropriate for the shaved parts of a Poodle would be appropriate for the shaved parts of any other breed dog.

No matter what kind of coat they have, they are still dogs underneath it. :confused:

I assume that whatever care is appropriate for the shaved parts of a Poodle would be appropriate for the shaved parts of any other breed dog.
Poodles have single coats, so shaving them doesn’t mess with their ability to regulate their body temperature the same way, and it doesn’t make it impossible for the coat to return to its original state the way that it does with wire hair.

Poodles have single coats, so shaving them doesn’t mess with their ability to regulate their body temperature the same way, and it doesn’t make it impossible for the coat to return to its original state the way that it does with wire hair.

So are you saying a Poodle's coat never regulates its body temperature, but they're used to living that way?

Whether the coat can ever return to its original state does not matter at all, if the owner wants to maintain the grooming for the life of the dog.

Yes, I've read plenty of articles about not shaving a double-coated dog.

And I've seen plenty of other articles reassuring people that the coat will eventually grow back, although it may take several years. (These articles usually address cases where the dog had to be shaved for surgery, or it was a rescue dog with such horrible mats they could not be combed out, or the groomer disobeyed instructions and shaved the dog, or something like that.)

I cannot see any way the coat will know if it was shaved on purpose or not. So if it can grow back when shaved for a good reason, it can also grow back if shaved for a bad reason.

And again, if the owner wants to maintain it in a clipped state, then it doesn't matter whether it could grow back properly or not.

Hey @LaFleche you have terriers, right? Are they a PITA to train like general public says, or are they easy to train like people on a dog forum say? Also, are they loud?
Yes, I do have a smooth coated Foxterrier and an Airedale Terrier.

Both are strong willed, which is a special terrier trait. But they also are very smart and therefore easy to train. They love to interact with their owner and are eager to learn new things.
Although they love to please, they are easily bored, so the training has to be diversified and entertaining.

Consistancy, patience and an understanding of their special traits and needs is important for a trusting and loving relationship.

Both breeds are known to be excellent family dogs, especially good with children, very loving and protective of their family, but at the same time very watchful.

The Airedale has a special sense of humor and loves to display silliness when playing.

Both bark when strangers linger in the village near our house or when the door bell rings, and of course they bark when we start our water games, and they bark when asked to and they stop when told to.

Training your dog to bark on command is an easy way to control the barking, as at the same time you teach him to stop.

Last edited:
Any good dog food recommendations? Preferably something I can find at Petsense or Walmart (closest places to me). Right now I have Charlie (7-ish months old) on Purina Pro Plan for adult dogs, but I’m thinking about switching.
Nulo, Crave, Purina One, or natures recipe.

All are decent foods. Best Walmart has.

Back
Top Bottom