Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

I don’t think so
So I was at handling class, right? And there's this lady here with this huge, beautiful, buff cane corso. Gorgeous, very intimidating dog. This dog was whining the whole time and she was clearly embarrassed about that, but it was fine. I ended up behind her, because there weren't any dogs larger than finn but smaller than the dogo. I was trying to keep Finn focused, and I heard some of the people behind me chuckling- I turned around and this giant, buff dog was on it's back with all four legs in the air with the most 'I don't wanna' look on it's face, while the lady is just 🤦‍♀️ .

On tail docking- many are against it but the reason that it exists in working dogs is to prevent horrible injuries (especially in spaniels and terriers) so I don't see the issue but if I say that I'm fine with it then everyone attacks me

People docking the tails of dogs doesn't bother me too much, but their reasons often bother me a lot. This is because the reasons do not make sense. Honestly, I prefer to have them say "I like the way it looks" and leave it at that.

About the claim that docking prevents injuries in working dogs: for any breed that traditionally has a docked tail, there are other breeds with similar tails and working styles that do not have docked tails.

For example, Spaniels traditionally get their tails docked, while Setters and Pointers do not. But all of them are used for bird hunting. If the problem is in all bird-hunting dogs, they should all be getting their tails docked. If the problem is long hair on the tails of bird-hunting dogs, then the Setters should be getting docked. So the claim that the tails need to be docked in one breed to prevent injuries, but not in other similar breeds with similar jobs, is NOT supported by what I see of various breed standards.

Even if docking makes sense for the working dogs, that does not mean that pets should have their tails docked (and there are a lot more pet dogs than working dogs for most breeds.)

And I strongly object to a docked tail being required for showing. There is absolutely nothing about being in a show ring that makes a full tail dangerous to the dog.

People docking the tails of dogs doesn't bother me too much, but their reasons often bother me a lot. This is because the reasons do not make sense. Honestly, I prefer to have them say "I like the way it looks" and leave it at that.

About the claim that docking prevents injuries in working dogs: for any breed that traditionally has a docked tail, there are other breeds with similar tails and working styles that do not have docked tails.

For example, Spaniels traditionally get their tails docked, while Setters and Pointers do not. But all of them are used for bird hunting. If the problem is in all bird-hunting dogs, they should all be getting their tails docked. If the problem is long hair on the tails of bird-hunting dogs, then the Setters should be getting docked. So the claim that the tails need to be docked in one breed to prevent injuries, but not in other similar breeds with similar jobs, is NOT supported by what I see of various breed standards.
I think that the issue has to do with the hunting style- spaniels are often used for flushing instead of pointing, and have to run fast through dense undergrowth, which can result in shredded tails, tail splits....all injuries that could require a tail amputation, which is a much more traumatic procedure than a tail docking when the nerve connections in the tail haven't fully formed.
In point hunt/flush retrieve dogs (setter), the docking of the tail would make it difficult for the dog to complete the other parts of its job. In retrievers, the tail is a major component in swimming/retrieving, hence, undocked tails.
Even if docking makes sense for the working dogs, that does not mean that pets should have their tails docked (and there are a lot more pet dogs than working dogs for most breeds.)
I agree with that- if I were to get a dog in the future that wouldn't be for show, then I wouldn't have the dog's tail docked if I could avoid it.
And I strongly object to a docked tail being required for showing. There is absolutely nothing about being in a show ring that makes a full tail dangerous to the dog.
I agree with that as well. Many show dogs also work, but I don't think that docking or cropping should be required (however, neither should it be banned).

people who come up with dramatic and far fetch reasons as to crop a dogs ear kind of bother me. I just like how it looks and I don't mind admitting that. Its no more invasive than a spay or neuter that isn't frowned upon. It serves a purpose yes, but doing it as young as most people do does more harm than good

649D1F6F-7211-45EC-BA07-3E384962BD1F.jpeg

@Cecisflock this is a chain from the skirt that I got at hot topic that I didn’t want on the skirt, it works for a collar lol

One of the issue is that I can’t go there on my own and I don’t have any one to go with. The other issue is she will bark until she gets hoarse, even when I have her sitting she is in high “alert” mode when she sees a dog. Also I can no longer work on her sit/lay down because I don’t want to force her do use her knees

I think it might be helpful if I try and write what exactly my problem with her is, I will try and do that in a bit.

Thank you for your help!
I just remembered that I've seen people teach a nose touch target to your hand, and if you see another dog coming, start playing the 'touch game' where you stick out your hand and ask her to touch, and reward when she does. Finn hasn't had reactivity issues so I haven't had to try it in that situations, but he LOVES playing the touch game in general.

Back
Top Bottom