Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

That is not the temperament a collie should have. He was probably badly bred with poor genetics and bored.
Well, this yes, but also there is quite a bit of difference between "farm collies" and your usual AKC show collie. But like any dog, collies need to be socialized and can have issues if they haven't been. But there are some breeds who have female-female aggression even if the owners do everything right and they have been socialized.

As a bully breed owner I tend to Leer on the side of caution, I know dog breeds are different. Like my breed, the AST vs a pack of Goldens. The dynamic would be way different.
I don't see too many pure Staffies in agility (my main dog activity), but when my older sheltie was growing up, one of her favorite friends was a smallish Staffie named Mikey. What an amiable little guy! He competed at the highest level in obedience, rally, and agility and was also a therapy dog. Got along with EVERYONE and was a great ambassador for his breed. Played so gently with my sheltie puppy in spite of that massive musculature.

Lately, there had been a trend in serious agility competitors of created "sport crosses," and one of them is the "Border Staffie." Incredible athletic ability, but all the ones I've met are totally cuckoo. In crosses you can get the best of both breeds, or the worst.

Well, this yes, but also there is quite a bit of difference between "farm collies" and your usual AKC show collie. But like any dog, collies need to be socialized and can have issues if they haven't been. But there are some breeds who have female-female aggression even if the owners do everything right and they have been socialized.
There is no such thing as a farm collie. We don’t have 2 separate lines in AKC. If someone is marketing a dog as a farm collie run the other way. Border collies are different.
Ceci, I must have missed the post, but why does Rory need a muzzle?
She eats so much random stuff off the ground, it’s ridiculous. Her “leave it” is strong. But my patience for yelling leave it after she has already grabbed it is wearing thin. If I could tell her leave it and she has no chance of her grabbing it anyway I could have peace of mind.

And she bites, hard. Only when she is being groomed/restrained in any way but I can’t just not bathe her. So hot pink muzzle it is. We have tried the patient approach to grooming but honestly it’s better to muzzle her and do it fast.

She eats so much random stuff off the ground, it’s ridiculous. Her “leave it” is strong. But my patience for yelling leave it after she has already grabbed it is wearing thin. If I could tell her leave it and she has no chance of her grabbing it anyway I could have peace of mind.
I'd love to know how that works for you. My dogs are the same way - they can't stop eating things off the ground. I say leave it so many times every day.

I don't see too many pure Staffies in agility (my main dog activity), but when my older sheltie was growing up, one of her favorite friends was a smallish Staffie named Mikey. What an amiable little guy! He competed at the highest level in obedience, rally, and agility and was also a therapy dog. Got along with EVERYONE and was a great ambassador for his breed. Played so gently with my sheltie puppy in spite of that massive musculature.

Lately, there had been a trend in serious agility competitors of created "sport crosses," and one of them is the "Border Staffie." Incredible athletic ability, but all the ones I've met are totally cuckoo. In crosses you can get the best of both breeds, or the worst.
I really like border staffies and border whippets. When you combine that strength and althletaism you have some pretty cool little dogs. You just gotta know your stuff when breeding

I'd love to know how that works for you. My dogs are the same way - they can't stop eating things off the ground. I say leave it so many times every day.
I will for sure keep you updated! I need to take her on some PA and really test it. I was so shocked how quickly she accepted the muzzle. And she looks cute 🥰

Back
Top Bottom