Chicklings chirping loudly need HELP

JASONMrtz

Hatching
Aug 24, 2017
Hello community and thanks for looking at my issue right now I do appreciate any suggestion. Here's my problem when it's getting night time I want the chicks to be asleep but when ever I turn off the lights one out of the two chicks start chirping loudly and I'm not sure why I cover there place with a blanket that's warm but one chick keeps chirping loudly and it concerns me can any one help. I m not sure about the breed of the chicks

Chicks don't like it suddenly getting dark. Are they still in a brooder with heat? You can't do much with a heat lamp. If they don't have a heat lamp, you can turn the light off before it gets dark and let it slowly darken as the natural light goes away. Otherwise, they'll get over it. If you know they are warm and safe, they'll stop complaining about the dark eventually.

Like a baby crying for moma...
WELCOME-BY-FARMER-CONNIE-V1.gif

If they are warm enough then once they all find each other in the dark they usually quiet down. The loud cheeping is distress, so either not warm enough or lost and alone in the dark. What I usually do if the light has to go off suddenly is take a flashlight and shine it in one spot like in a corner, they will go to the light. Once they are all together, shut it off and they will quiet down quicker because no one is 'lost and alone'. If the brooder is in a place where there is enough natural light to fade slowly, that usually works best.

Like the replies above have mentioned... by turning off the lights do you mean turning off a heat lamp? I always use a red heat lamp, and leave it on 24/7. It isn't bright enough to interfere with their sleeping, and gives them a little bit of a nightlight so that they can find each other because it's not pitch dark. They would get natural light during the day from a window which of course would gradually darken, and then their red heat lamp barely lit up the area at night, and never had any issues with cheeping/chirping.

Like the replies above have mentioned... by turning off the lights do you mean turning off a heat lamp? I always use a red heat lamp, and leave it on 24/7. It isn't bright enough to interfere with their sleeping, and gives them a little bit of a nightlight so that they can find each other because it's not pitch dark. They would get natural light during the day from a window which of course would gradually darken, and then their red heat lamp barely lit up the area at night, and never had any issues with cheeping/chirping.
I always left mine on too, but of course adjusted the temp lower slowly, and by the time they were adjusted to room temp they still wanted that red light at night lol spoiled!!

If they are warm enough then once they all find each other in the dark they usually quiet down. The loud cheeping is distress, so either not warm enough or lost and alone in the dark. What I usually do if the light has to go off suddenly is take a flashlight and shine it in one spot like in a corner, they will go to the light. Once they are all together, shut it off and they will quiet down quicker because no one is 'lost and alone'. If the brooder is in a place where there is enough natural light to fade slowly, that usually works best.
Thank you I will try this oiut tonight

Back
Top Bottom