Chicks all arrived dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Remudamom, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

My order of chicks arrived dead this morning. I am just sick.. I think my post lady was crying.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh no, that's terrible! Who did you order them from?

I'm so sorry. That's so sad.

3. Remudamom

Ideal Poultry. I hope they plan to do something about this. Not open yet.

4. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    THAT IS SO SAD!!! I AM SO SORRY!

5. Remudamom

Ideal guarantees live delivery, so they are going to re-ship for me. We'll try again but only once.

6. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    I am sorry that happened. Do you think they perhaps got too cold? I've ordered from Ideal 5 or 6 times and have never lost one during shipping and only 1 or 2 within the first couple of days. Of course, I'm within 200 miles of the hatchery and I'm sure that makes a difference. I hope your second batch of chicks arrives hale and hearty!

7. Remudamom

That had to have been what happened. I got some from them this fall and they were all healthy. This shipment had plenty of "packing peanuts" in there too.

I ordered early because this spring and summer I don't think I'll be able to start chicks. I wanted them here and growing by then. I'm going to try once more but if that doesn't work I'll have to cancel altogether or look for a really good chick babysitter.

8. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Any idea how long they were on the road for? Were they stuck an extra day in shipping or anything?

9. Remudamom

They were shipped Wednesday afternoon and arrived Friday morning.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

So sorry. One never knows. Those postal trucks can be anywhere, sitting or driving in subzero temperatures this time of year. Sad. We don't know what the future holds with the Post Office and its issues, lay-offs, and slowdowns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by