Chicks and ducks together... question about niacin

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
I have my two week old chicks in the same brooder with my 5-7 day old ducks (they get along great). I've read that the ducks need niacin in the water to help avoid leg issues. Can I add niacin to the water for the ducks or will it hurt the chicks?
I've read/heard that people have raised ducks and chicks together successfully, but I'm wondering about the water with niacin.

Thanks

I've raised a duck with 2 chicks before and never had any problems. I also have 2 ducks again with 6 chick now, and I'm not putting anything in the water. I've never heard of putting niacin in the water, then again alot of people on here seem to be using vitamin supplements in the water for the chicks. I think too much of some things are just over kill.

Quote:
I have also never used anything in the water for chicks, I have never thought they needed anything extra. I hope that the ducks that I have dont because I havent given them any. I did however almost forget and give them med. feed this year. Thank goodness someone ask on this forum and I remembered.

I have raised MANY ducks without supplements of any sort. They're probably the hardiest babies of any poultry, and I have never had any problems with angel wing, leg issues, etc. My only problems are them growing too fast and being too messy. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom