1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks and Teaching Responsibility

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I love chicks for teaching responsibility in children. My 8 and 6 year old children are now responsible for feeding, watering (with my help), and checking on our 200 pullet flock we are raising for sale as POL pullets. I have agreed to pay them each $0.75 per pullet if they care for the birds everyday to my satisfaction. Now they have a lesson in Capitalism, Responsibility, and Animal Husbandry.

Jim

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I have a job....hahahaha

Glad to see kids getting involved (even if the $$ did help a little). Hope they have a wonderful time with the babies.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think that's a great idea. Your kids will have a great sense of pride during the process, and then when they get their salary when the pullets are sold! I bet they brag about it at school. Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by