Chicks are dying 2 dead one left, WHY?

That may be part of your problem, While the chick is being transported to and from different places its losing body heat and doesnt have food and water available. If i were you id call tonight and have them check her little bottom too for pasty butt and tell them not to give her anything but plain or sugar water and maybe some bread or eggs like the other posters had suggested.

Hi,

New chicks should be handled as little as possible. If your chicks are peeping a lot, then they are too cold. You should have paper towels to cover the pine shavings for the first week. The chicks will eat the shavings and get an impacted crop and die. If you feed anything other than chick starter, hard boiled egg or yogurt, you need to give your chicks, chick grit that you can purchase at the feed store. You also need to be sure your chicks are drinking water. If you don't see them drinking then dip their beaks in the water to show them how to drink. I like to put GQF Vitamins plus powder in their drinking water for the first week. It really gets them off to a good start.

GOOD LUCK
big_smile.png

Quote:
I really wish I had checked out some help earlier. I thought they will be fine as they survived the 21 days of incubation period. If we had known all this before we could be more careful. I feel bad. My daughter was crying and heartbroken. She felt like a mommy when they hatched. She made the incubator on her own and took care of them by herself and she is only 13. Now two of her baby chicks are gone, they had a burial of the first one today not knowing the second one would die too. I hope third one survive.

I think they might have eaten the pine shaving. and they were peeping a lot often. they did drink water, my daughter taught them how to. This last on took longest to hatch and was smallest. I really hope she survive.

awwww, im so sorry:( You know baby chicks are only like 3 bucks at your local feed store
smile.png

Im sure she could love new ones just as much...or maybe get her some more fertile eggs to hatch. That might make her feel better and she can have that 'mommy' feeling again!

Quote:
Nikkumz, Thanks for your suggestion and concern. I will get her a chick or two. hopefully it will be helpful in overcoming the grieve. Children were too excited and held the chicks in hands a lot and the chicks communicated with them by running to them.
Good night!

Last edited:
Hello,

We gave some hard boiled egg to the last chick but she is not eating it. She is drinking the sugar water. She often falls while she is standing. her legs were shaking. Then she fell and her legs were in the air and she was kicking them. Whats going on, does anyone knows any thing about these symptoms? we did place a mirror, so she is not lonely.

Thanks.

I'm afraid that without a good nutritional start and without enough heat it may have been too much of a set back for this little one to survive. Add to that the heat loss and stress of traveling when so tiny, again, it's a rough start. Also, have you checked for pasty butt?

My suggestion would be that before you replace these chicks that you read thoroughly Chicks 101. Set up the brooder and make sure it is warm enough prior to bringing the chicks home. Give proper nutrition etc.

Good luck.

Yay Chicks! :

I'm afraid that without a good nutritional start and without enough heat it may have been too much of a set back for this little one to survive. Add to that the heat loss and stress of traveling when so tiny, again, it's a rough start. Also, have you checked for pasty butt?

My suggestion would be that before you replace these chicks that you read thoroughly Chicks 101. Set up the brooder and make sure it is warm enough prior to bringing the chicks home. Give proper nutrition etc.

Good luck.

How do I check for pasty butt? what exactly am I looking for?​

Have you gotten them Chick Starter? I don't see that anywhere. They need NOTHING except proper food for their age. That is critical! NOTHING else, really, trust me. Do not take them anywhere, period. Leave them in a brooder with proper food, fresh water, proper heat and a space where they can get away from the heat if needed. That's really it. Don't let them be manhandled by kids, either yours or friends of theirs.
hmm.png

1)Proper feed for their age and nothing else until you learn more about what you're doing. They MUST have chicks starter!
2)Fresh water. They don't need sugar or anything except fresh water, changed daily.
3)Proper warmth till they are fully feathered, about 4-6 weeks, and a place to get out of the heat if they want to do so.
4)Limited handling till they are older.

Please, do not get more chicks until you both have a crash course in their proper care.

Back
Top Bottom