chicks are dying & I need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ebers, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Ebers

Ebers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have chicks dying they're from 1wk to 2 months old, they get very lethargic & sleepy acting then the next day or 2 they die I know it's no pasty butt but I'm not sure otherwise I've already lost 10 & I don't wanna lose anymore, I haven't had any trouble with my hens but they're outside is it safe to give them iodine in their water or what should I do

2. Luna and Comb

Luna and Comb New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Ok I'm not sure... But they could have mites... They would be tired becuz the mites take all there blood. Or I could also be worms. Worms would make them very skinny and tired. I don't know what else to say, but putting some wormer in they're water wouldn't hurt, and I'm not sure what stuff you get for mites it's like a powder I know, so you can get some of that and I don't think that would hurt either. Even if it's not mites or worms it's worth a try. :) hope they get better! Tell me how there doing

3. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Maybe try adding some electrolytes or sugar to their water? good luck.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Are you seeing any blood in their poop ?

They may have coccidiosis...Amprolium/Corid in their water supply will be the treatment needed if they are showing symptoms of being lethargic, any blood in poop, feathers fluffed up...

1 person likes this.
  5. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I've given them electrolytes & probiotics since they were 2 days old, what could I give my chicks to worm them & would diatomaceous earth wk for mites & worms?

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    DE does nothing to aid defence against worms, lice nor mites...what symptoms are your sick chicks showing ?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

8. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    They're sluggish & they kinda lay around lookin like they're sleepy the next day they're dead.

What can I put in their water to help them then?

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    As Suzie said...

They may have coccidiosis...Amprolium/Corid in their water supply will be the treatment needed if they are showing symptoms of being lethargic, any blood in poop, feathers fluffed up...

this kills quickly. Treat them for it immediately. Even if it turns out not to be this it is urgent enough to do it just in case. This is the most common and deadly thing for young birds.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

DItto. Start them on it asap, this is most likely what your are dealing with. In the future, keep Corid on hand when raising chicks and treat at the first sign of a slow or lethargic chick. Coccidiosis is just far too common at this age. It never does any harm to treat and if that's what's going on you can save them easily. Otherwise you will have the situation you are in now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by