PLS HELP!! hard lump below chicks vent

marinakirsten

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Hello!

I have 2 silkies that are around 2 weeks old, and they have this hard lump right below their vent- I’ll include photos!

I have 10 silkie chicks and the only two experiencing this lump came from the same place whereas the rest were from a feed store

they’re acting totally normal, eating, drinking, running around, not lethargic at all. I check all my silkies for pasty butt periodically so I thought maybe they got pasty bum and got backed up, but neither of their vents were dirty or pasty at all so i’m not sure.

I administered chick probiotics in their water last night just in case, but nothings happened or changed yet.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• F01BF4EE-D0D9-4813-9CCB-22E78265C814.jpeg
    F01BF4EE-D0D9-4813-9CCB-22E78265C814.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 50
  • CC325BA6-1BAD-4269-BC50-3B633FAA3A91.jpeg
    CC325BA6-1BAD-4269-BC50-3B633FAA3A91.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Hmm, makes me think it's maybe a hardened naval.. or possible hatch anomaly.. something weird happened during the absorption of the yolk and subsequent closing of the naval.. (almost like hardened scar tissue after mushy chick condition)

Since behavior and growth appear to be normal.. I wouldn't currently worry too much about it.. but also would likely be careful to not breed it forward.. just in case there's any genetic component..

On rare occasion I've seen individual chicks that have more junk in their trunk early on and keep that funky body shape forever.. Not posing a problem for non breeding pet flocks.. Assuming they squat well enough for droppings to pass over instead of coating the skin.

I do hope more feedback will come as I'm curious what other experienced hatchers will say.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Hmm, makes me think it's maybe a hardened naval.. or possible hatch anomaly.. something weird happened during the absorption of the yolk and subsequent closing of the naval.. (almost like hardened scar tissue after mushy chick condition)

Since behavior and growth appear to be normal.. I wouldn't currently worry too much about it.. but also would likely be careful to not breed it forward.. just in case there's any genetic component..

On rare occasion I've seen individual chicks that have more junk in their trunk early on and keep that funky body shape forever.. Not posing a problem for non breeding pet flocks.. Assuming they squat well enough for droppings to pass over instead of coating the skin.

I do hope more feedback will come as I'm curious what other experienced hatchers will say.
Thank you, happy to be here!!

also thank you for taking time to reply! I don’t plan to breed or keep any roos at this time so that shouldn’t be a problem!! someone else said possibly an umbilical that never healed properly, but who knows! they didn’t have a lump, at least not one that was noticeable, until the last few days. their acting normal and not being lethargic makes me have more peace of mind that they’re not in pain or struggling, but figured i’d bring it to here just to make sure it’s not anything life threatening! hopefully some other people will chime in because i’d love to figure out what’s going on with them and why!

if it’s just a matter of having a funky body shape I don’t mind at all🤣 just want them to be happy & healthy!!

Back
Top Bottom