Chicks are scheduled for this week

DaveNay

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
Northern Illinois
We are now headed off to Rural King to get the last few things we need to set up the brooder. We already have a large Premier 1 chick heater plate and a backup red heater bulb.

This afternoon will be spent getting everything set up and ready!

Getting excited for sure....first time chicken owners!

Its hard not to be excited! Heck, I'm excited for you! Good luck getting ready and picking out chicks
smile.png

So....we're back from Rural King AND Farm and Fleet. Despite phoning this morning to confirm they had a 6' stock tank in stock, when we got there, there were none to be found, so we had to go to F&F also.

We got the stock tank, chick feed and pine shavings.....and wife and son insisted that we get 10 chicks. Le sigh...... This means that by next weekend we will have 36 chicks.

Talk about jumping in feet first with a load of bricks in your arms!

1f633.png
36 chicks?!
1f633.png
Yes...that's...a lot! We got 9 for our first batch and I thought that was a lot! Whew!

Well what kind did you get and are you getting?

Today we got 4 Americauna, 4 Cornish Rock and 2 Buff Orpington. All from today are straight run (free with rebate from Rural King)

Coming from Murray McMurray are 9 Black Australorp, 8 Buff Orpington and 8 Red Star.

And one mystery free bird from McM

Last edited:
Oh wow, so you got some meat birds as well!? You are adventurous!

I sounds like a great mixed flock and it about 22-28 weeks you are going to have EGGS like crazy!! I have 11 chickens that have just started laying and I get 5-7 eggs per day.

Aww what a great angle! It's all quiet for a minute, then you see a whole bunch pop out from the heater and rush the feeder en masse! A couple even perched on top of the heater and looked right into the camera. So cute! Very nice brooder too btw. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom