Chicks are sick and dropping fast :(

TamiD66

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I'm distraught... We are new to raising chickens. Our chicks are about 9 weeks old. We lost an Americauna chick mid-week last week. I really had no idea what was wrong with her and how to treat her, so started scouring this site and others, isolated her and started giving her some sugar water. Did a little research and thought she might have a fungal infection (although breathing didn't seem labored). Started probiotics. She never recovered and died within a few days. Got home from church yesterday and our little Australorp was dead in the box. Another of our chicks, a Barred Rock, seemed ill and I isolated her. Went to the feed store and got some Corid yesterday, based on how she was acting (lethargic, puffed up, droopy head, smaller size, unbalanced, some greenish poo - not bloody at this time) hoping that perhaps it's coccidiosis and is treatable. Started treating the 5 chicks I have left with the Corid (1/2 t. in quart watering jar) yesterday , still have the little Barred Rock isolated and giving her water with dropper. Awakened at 12:45 this morning to give little sick Barred Rock some more water with dropper before I went to bed (she does have access to food and water in the isolation box) and my larger, seemingly healthy Barred Rock was dead in the larger box! Oh my gosh! I'm just beside myself. Your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated for this rookie chick mamma.

TamiD66

Welcome to BYC. It certainly could be coccidiosis based on their symptoms. The Corid usually starts working within the first day or two. In that age group that would be the most common illness that will kill several in a group so fast. You will need to try more dropper feeding for any that have stopped drinking fluids. I'm hoping they start turning around for you. Here is a good article: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
Any suggestions on how often I should give water to my little sick bird and how much? I weighed her last night and she weighs 170 grams or about 6 ozs.

I would just give her tiny amounts with a dropper as many times as I could get it done. Be careful not to choke her, and let her swallow between each drop or two. You can mix up a little more concentrated Corid and give that too, to get more meds into her. It is easier with the liquid Corid to do that.

I got them from two different feed stores. The two that died first I got from the same store. They were not "stored", so to speak, in the same manner as the other five. Those two were in open cages, no heat. The other 5 were in enclosed cages, with lots of birds and a heat lamp.

TamiD66

Back
Top Bottom