Chicks are thinking about coming outside

mjdtexan

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Houston(ish)
Well, the hen house is complete and the trap door is open and all of the chicks are sitting there stareing at the door wondering what to do next. They stick their necks out and look around but thats about it. None of them have walked the gang plank yet. Its a good size run. We will see what happens.

After a day or so , it will be how can i get them in before pitch black dark? I am thinking of offering scratch grain at night to get them in before I have to walk down there in utter darkness. Jean

Quote:
I am wondering how thats gonna go. I believe that I read on here that they will start to go in at night on their own. Is that correct?

I am gonna open the door for them early in the morning and then go buy a bunch of woodworking power equipment. I wanna start making money building high end furniture. I am new to woodworking but I have stayed overnight at Holiday Inn a couple of times so I should be ok.
cool.png
Our warehouse is situated where I can watch the hen house while working at loosing money on furniture.
big_smile.png

Today, one of the golds was the first to put her feet on the ground. Then she ran back inside. Then two of the blacks went on out and walked around for about 10 minutes and then went back inside. All of them are inside now watching the outside door. I think the sounds are freaking them out. Their food is outside today. We will see what happens.

Like I said give them a few days!!!! Mine go in at night by themselves but it is pitch dark. They are night owls .LOL I am going to try and feed them in the coop some scratch corn and see if it helps to get them in. Jean

Mine always go in at dusk but I have found that because the coop is raised 2 1/2 feet off the ground, the young ones have a hard time figuring out how to go up the ramp to get back in, and for the first while in the evenings I have to go scoop them up and put them through the pop door. I usually find them huddled together in a corner of the run near the coop. Silly chickies!

Their getting braver, I saw six out at once. I cant wait till they start laying eggs. Hopefully the will each lay a dozen eggs a day for me. Its the least they can do, feed aint cheep cheep.

You can offer them treats other than scratch if they don't care for it right now. Wild bird black sunflower seeds,bread,greens,yogurt,pasta noodles,boiled egg etc. I have a meal worm farm and they love meal worms !
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom