Chicks arrived today from Meyer.

kmb221

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Shippensburg, PA
Ordered 15 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I live in Pennsylvania and did a map quest and Meyer's location is approximately 6 1/2 hours from my town. That's why I picked Meyer over Ideal this year. Chicks were hatched and shipped Monday. They finally got to my post office at 4:30 am this morning. I opted for the text updates from USPS. It was amazing how much time those chicks were in the process of being shipped, setting some where for at least 2 or more hours, back on the road, etc. I'm sure they were not being kept warm. Thankfully, I only lost one chick.

I just wanted to bring up the travel time through the USPS that these chicks go through and I was only 6 1/2 hours from the hatchery. I suspect a lot of the demise of chicks are due to the stress of travel. Just wanted to give my thoughts on the long journey my chicks had although I only live 6 1/2 hours away from the hatchery.

So, if anyone is curious what your chicks go through in travel, opt for the text updates. It sure stunned me what went on for a 6 1/2 hours difference from one place to the other.

I may alert Meyer what my chicks went through and I am only 6 1/2 hours away. I'm sure the hatcheries have no clue the stress these chicks have in the travel time.

Yea my chicks were in transit from Des Moines to Fayetteville (6 hour drive) from 12:20 AM Saturday morning till 4:30 AM Monday morning. More than 48 hours for a 6 hour trip. Its crazy. I was really nervous...

Here is the route my chicks took - Remember 6 1/2 hour drive from Meyer to Shippensburg, PA

Date & Time
Status of Item
February 4, 2015 , 6:59 am
Delivered
SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257

I am 40 minutes away from Harrisburg, PA

Date & Time

Status of Item

Delivered

SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257

Your item was delivered at 6:59 am on February 4, 2015 in SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257.
February 4, 2015 , 4:26 am

Arrived at Post Office

SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257
February 4, 2015 , 1:36 am

Departed USPS Facility

HARRISBURG, PA 17107
February 3, 2015 , 9:13 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

HARRISBURG, PA 17107
February 2, 2015 , 8:34 pm

Departed USPS Facility

CLEVELAND, OH 44101
February 2, 2015 , 6:16 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

CLEVELAND, OH 44101
February 2, 2015 , 5:01 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

POLK, OH 44866
February 2, 2015

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

I live in Arkansas...they shipped on a Monday morning and I got them on Wednesday morning. Yes...a long journey for sure...but all 6 of them from Meyer arrived in good health...and the box was nice and warm with the heating pack they tossed in it (it was 20F in Ohio when they left and got to me when it was 23F here) They are 14 weeks old now.
Someone recently got 150 from Meyer and zero losses....stress gets them in shipping....but I imagine a lot of those are ones that are weak even from birth....

Here is the route my chicks took - Remember 6 1/2 hour drive from Meyer to Shippensburg, PA

Date & Time
Status of Item
February 4, 2015 , 6:59 am
Delivered
SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257

I am 40 minutes away from Harrisburg, PA

Date & Time

Status of Item

Delivered

SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257

Your item was delivered at 6:59 am on February 4, 2015 in SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257.
February 4, 2015 , 4:26 am

Arrived at Post Office

SHIPPENSBURG, PA 17257
February 4, 2015 , 1:36 am

Departed USPS Facility

HARRISBURG, PA 17107
February 3, 2015 , 9:13 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

HARRISBURG, PA 17107
February 2, 2015 , 8:34 pm

Departed USPS Facility

CLEVELAND, OH 44101
February 2, 2015 , 6:16 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

CLEVELAND, OH 44101
February 2, 2015 , 5:01 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

POLK, OH 44866
February 2, 2015

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
That's normal for anything that goes through the mail system.If they did a direct route to your house shipping would have been $$$$

I ordered my chicks from Meyer as well. They arrived today. I had 4 DOA out of 25. I have 3 more that don't look so good. Mine were shipped by air but it still took FOREVER to get from Cleveland to Kansas City.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help these three out? I have been feeding sugar water by eye dropper which seems to help a bit but they are pretty lethargic and just laying around.

Thanks

I ordered my chicks from Meyer as well. They arrived today. I had 4 DOA out of 25. I have 3 more that don't look so good. Mine were shipped by air but it still took FOREVER to get from Cleveland to Kansas City.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help these three out? I have been feeding sugar water by eye dropper which seems to help a bit but they are pretty lethargic and just laying around.

Thanks
I would get some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes and start dipping the beaks of the stressed chicks, or any others that appear lethargic. Do this as often as you can, letting them sip and then swallow. Place some paper towels down on the floor of the brooder where they are walking, and sprinkle a few chick crumbles so that they will see them and eat. Make sure your floor temperature is 90-95 with a cooler area to get to if they are hot. You may see losses up to a week after arrival from stress. Here is a good article on shipping stress:
http://www.upc-online.org/transport/71408shippingbirds.html

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* (potassium)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

Poultry nutri-drench is IMO the best product I've found. I'd use that along with the electrolytes and pro-biotics to deal with shipping stress. The nutri-drench can be given full strength to a stressed chick. I'd not put a drop directly in their mouth, but, i'd dribble it on the side of the beak so it "leaks" in. Often, if you put a liquid to their beak, they'll instinctively start drinking it.

Back
Top Bottom