Chicks arrived today!!!

ear019

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Huntsville, TX
I'm so excited to finally have my chicks! None of them had a problem "pasting up" and started eating and drinking great! I'm constantly playing with the light to get them some air flow and keep them warm/cool enough in our shop. (Texas is hot all the time this time of year...)

Now that they have settled down a little is it normal for them to take a nap? It looks like they kinda just lay down and are out. I guessing it's like all babys that are active for a little bit then crash?

Thanks,
Over-Analyzer : )

Yes they will sleep alot when they are really small. If you can get one area in the brooder to the needed temperature they will move themselves to regulate their heat. They should be able to get away from the heat if necessary. If they are piled directly under the light then lower it a bit. Keep in mind they will sleep close together even if not cold. If they are laying with their necks stretched out they are pretty comfortable. Almost looks like they are dead. 90-95 directly under the light at their level is what you need but watching their behaviour is a much better indicator. I've seen them running after each other and collapse and go to sleep almost instantly. And congrats on the new additions.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah that's what they are doing. I figured it would be like. I nudged one to make sure he didn't die on me. haha I almost don't need a light. I'm having a hard time keeping it at 95. It's closer to 90. I have a small fan on low inside pointed towards the outer walls to get some air circulation. They seem pretty content.

Congratulations! Mine arrived today too! How many did you get? What did you get? I have 2 silkies, 1 polish, 1 SLW and 1 buff orpington. They are so cute! Lots of peeping in the house :)

I have six easter eggers and boy are they cute! My first experience with chickens, so this website has been a life saver...

My dog is OBSESSED! She just wants to stand there and watch them. I don't think she knows they are birds. I showed her one and she just tried to lick it.

Your babies are so cute! I got my chicks on Tuesday 2 of them are EE's. My dog also is obsessed, she is jealous if we pay attention to the chicks and when I showed them to her she tried to lick them. My other dog (who is a rescue and has lived on the street) is still debating whether they might be food.

Back
Top Bottom