Chicks ate wasps that were poisoned — will my chicks be ok?

CCtheflockboss

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
My husband spray some strong, nasty wasp colonies that would not leave the front door to our house. The poison did its work to kill the wasps, but they dropped down to ground and my 4 week old chicks started nibbling them up so quick The next day! I tried to get them away from the dead wasps, but there were too many and they were all over the yard. So far, no I’ll signs from the chicks. Any advice? Are they going to be okay?

Welcome to BYC.

Could you post the brand of wasp killer you used?

How long since they ate the wasps?

Do you have any activated charcoal on hand?

Welcome to BYC.

Could you post the brand of wasp killer you used?

How long since they ate the wasps?

Do you have any activated charcoal on hand?
I believe it was Spectracide, or similar. It was over 24 hours after my husband sprayed the wasps. No, do not have any activated charcoal. They are not exhibiting any signs of harm....

I believe it was Spectracide, or similar. It was over 24 hours after my husband sprayed the wasps. No, do not have any activated charcoal. They are not exhibiting any signs of harm....

Sorry, I wasn't clear, how long has it been since the chicks ate the wasps?

If you can, I would highly advise going to your local grocery store and picking up some activated charcoal tablets, mixing it in with some water, and dropping a few drops into each chick's mouth, and adding some into their waterer.

I say this because the brand you used " https://www.spectracide.com/product.../spectracide-wasp-hornet-killer3-aerosol.aspx " contains petroleum distillates which are toxic to birds.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, how long has it been since the chicks ate the wasps?

If you can, I would highly advise going to your local grocery store and picking up some activated charcoal tablets, mixing it in with some water, and dropping a few drops into each chick's mouth, and adding some into their waterer.

I say this because the brand you used " https://www.spectracide.com/product.../spectracide-wasp-hornet-killer3-aerosol.aspx " contains petroleum distillates which are toxic to birds.
It’s been 24 hr since they are the first one...

It’s been 24 hr since they are the first one...

I would *think* the toxic effect would have already taken into effect by now, but just to be safe, I would probably either give them some activated charcoal like I previously suggested, or do a molasses, or a Epsom salt flush.

Molasses dose is one pint of molasses per gallon of drinking water offered for four hours, in the case that the bird is unable to get around, the solution can be given orally within the same time frame suggested above.

For a group of birds the dose is 1lb of Epsom’s salts per five gallons of drinking water offered for one day, or for individual use in birds, one teaspoon of Epsom salt per 1 fluid ounce of water offered for one day, or administered orally often.

Thank you all! It’s been over 24 hours and you’d think they would have been showing some signs already, but thankfully nothing yet! New flock mom over here and I’m stressed beyond belief over this! :(

UPDATE: all 6 chicks are fine!!! Even after having all probably feasting on a few dead wasps! They are happy and healthy as can be! :) thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom