I think I gave my hen food poisoning :<

exactlyzac

Songster
Oct 20, 2019
Chicago
I have a flock of just 2 hens, and I gave them some kale that was on the verge of going bad the other day. It was over 100 degrees that day, and when I came out to check on the girls the next day, I noticed that Calla, my 4 1/2 year old black Australorp was standing off to the side and staring off into space - very unlike her!

When I checked the suet cage, the kale had melted together into a very stinky lump (from the heat I’m sure) so I threw that out right away, but I’m afraid I’ve given my girl food poisoning.

She was also in the middle of an early molt, but she seems to have stopped dropping feathers.

My other girl, Rosie seems just fine.

THE BASICS:
  • Is the chicken active? She’ll run for snacks, but won’t hang out with Rosie and seems lethargic. She didn’t even pester me for snacks!
  • Is the chicken walking normally? Yes, but less than normal, and not scratching or pecking around
  • Do the feathers look normal? Yes, as far as a molting hen goes. Pin feathers coming in.
  • Does the chicken look fluffed up? No.
  • If the chicken is a hen, is she laying eggs? No, but she had stopped the week prior due to her molt.
  • Is the chicken eating? She’ll eat snacks from my hand, but I didn’t see her eating with Rosie, which is very rare.
  • Is the chicken drinking water? I haven’t seen her drinking but also haven’t been home too much since I noticed.
RESULTS FROM A PHYSICAL INSPECTION:
(Spoiler alert: she hated it lol)
  • Her crop was pretty empty when she went to bed. Usually it’s so full you can see it from across the yard. It didn’t feel squishy like there was a lot of water in there.
  • Feet and legs look fine. No lifted scales or bumblefoot.
  • Her belly did have some red spots toward the tail end of her keel… but maybe this is normal? (See photos)
  • Could the red spots be from lice?
  • She was preening a lot, but she’s molting so that’s normal.
  • I didn’t find lumps or sores under the wings.
  • Her vent looked great - very clean.
  • No noise from breathing.
  • No discharge from eyes or nostrils.
  • Eyes look a little sleepy
  • Comb looks a little less bright and more droopy than normal (see pics)
  • I couldn’t find any of her poops so I’ll watch again and feel her crop in the morning and report back.
Any tips, tricks or advice would be much appreciated by me and my Calla!

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Now answer the following questions:

• Is the chicken active?
  • Is the chicken walking normally?
  • Do the feathers look normal?
  • Does the chicken look fluffed up?
  • If the chicken is a hen, is she laying eggs?
  • Is the chicken eating? You said she is eating some.
  • Is the chicken drinking water?
Now, examine your chicken:

• Feel the crop in the morning, is it hard or squishy, with a bad smell?
  • What do the poops look like? Watery or mucousy? What color?
  • Look under the feet, make sure there are no sores, cuts, or scabs.
  • Look at the legs, are they smooth? Are the scales lifting?
  • Feel under her belly, check for blisters or swelling.
  • Look for mites and lice under the feathers, neck, under wings, vent area.
  • Look under the wings, check for lumps or sores.
  • Check the chicken's vent, is it clean and pink? Nothing hanging out?
  • Listen to the breathing, do you hear any rattle noise?
  • Look at her nostrils, any discharge or bubbles coming out?
  • Look at the eyes, are they bright, clear and round?
You may want to fix your title, I believe it's incomplete?

Thank you for sharing the list, it's similar to the Sticky at the beginning of the ER Forums which is helpful if folks use it as a guideline when posting questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Some of my hens get that reddish skin around their keel bone from roosting and nesting. You could try giving her some cold red food treats to see if it perks her up. Tomato, strawberry, watermelon etc.

Some of my hens get that reddish skin around their keel bone from roosting and nesting. You could try giving her some cold red food treats to see if it perks her up. Tomato, strawberry, watermelon etc.
I’ll get her some first thing tomorrow thank you!

Yes thank you. I accidentally posted before it was complete, but have now fixed it
I have a flock of just 2 hens, and I gave them some kale that was on the verge of going bad the other day. It was over 100 degrees that day, and when I came out to check on the girls the next day, I noticed that Calla, my 4 1/2 year old black Australorp was standing off to the side and staring off into space - very unlike her!

When I checked the suet cage, the kale had melted together into a very stinky lump (from the heat I’m sure) so I threw that out right away, but I’m afraid I’ve given my girl food poisoning.

She was also in the middle of an early molt, but she seems to have stopped dropping feathers.

My other girl, Rosie seems just fine.

THE BASICS:
  • Is the chicken active? She’ll run for snacks, but won’t hang out with Rosie and seems lethargic. She didn’t even pester me for snacks!
  • Is the chicken walking normally? Yes, but less than normal, and not scratching or pecking around
  • Do the feathers look normal? Yes, as far as a molting hen goes. Pin feathers coming in.
  • Does the chicken look fluffed up? No.
  • If the chicken is a hen, is she laying eggs? No, but she had stopped the week prior due to her molt.
  • Is the chicken eating? She’ll eat snacks from my hand, but I didn’t see her eating with Rosie, which is very rare.
  • Is the chicken drinking water? I haven’t seen her drinking but also haven’t been home too much since I noticed.
RESULTS FROM A PHYSICAL INSPECTION:
(Spoiler alert: she hated it lol)
  • Her crop was pretty empty when she went to bed. Usually it’s so full you can see it from across the yard. It didn’t feel squishy like there was a lot of water in there.
  • Feet and legs look fine. No lifted scales or bumblefoot.
  • Her belly did have some red spots toward the tail end of her keel… but maybe this is normal? (See photos)
  • Could the red spots be from lice?
  • She was preening a lot, but she’s molting so that’s normal.
  • I didn’t find lumps or sores under the wings.
  • Her vent looked great - very clean.
  • No noise from breathing.
  • No discharge from eyes or nostrils.
  • Eyes look a little sleepy
  • Comb looks a little less bright and more droopy than normal (see pics)
  • I couldn’t find any of her poops so I’ll watch again and feel her crop in the morning and report back.
Any tips, tricks or advice would be much appreciated by me and my Calla!
Well now, finishing it gives the thread a whole new perspective.

Very often when a hen is in molt, they don't feel very well so they are standoffish, they don't like being handled nor do they like being near other chickens very much.

I wouldn't worry about the Kale, sounds like you removed it and they didn't eat very much of it, if any.

If your weather is hot, then this will make her feel even more sluggish during molt.

I would focus on her drinking normally and eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed. You can provide electrolytes in one water station, but do make sure they have plain fresh water available during waking hours.

If you wish to give a few treats at the end of the day (she needs to be eating her normal feed during molt) offer things that provide extra protein - a small amount of egg, fish or meat can be helpful.

Well now, finishing it gives the thread a whole new perspective.

Very often when a hen is in molt, they don't feel very well so they are standoffish, they don't like being handled nor do they like being near other chickens very much.

I wouldn't worry about the Kale, sounds like you removed it and they didn't eat very much of it, if any.

If your weather is hot, then this will make her feel even more sluggish during molt.

I would focus on her drinking normally and eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed. You can provide electrolytes in one water station, but do make sure they have plain fresh water available during waking hours.

If you wish to give a few treats at the end of the day (she needs to be eating her normal feed during molt) offer things that provide extra protein - a small amount of egg, fish or meat can be helpful.
Amazing thank you so much!

I definitely saw them going to town on the kale at one point, but they did leave half of it, so it certainly could be worse.

What do you think of giving her a wet mash of her normal food in the morning? She usually thinks it’s a treat so she might eat more, and it will get her some liquids.

I’ve been giving her black soldier fly larvae daily as well to get her through her molt. Should I hold off on those too till the end of the day?

Thanks again, this is helping my anxiety greatly.

Zac

Wet mash is fine, just put out a small amount, what they will eat in a short period of time since your weather is warm.
Provide their normal dry feed free choice.

You can give them a small treat whenever you like but try to limit it and let them focus on eating their normal feed.

Wet mash is fine, just put out a small amount, what they will eat in a short period of time since your weather is warm.
Provide their normal dry feed free choice.

You can give them a small treat whenever you like but try to limit it and let them focus on eating their normal feed.
I certainly will.

Blessings to you and your flock 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom