Chicks can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyfeathers, Mar 13, 2015.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I have 2 chicks that are 2 days old who can not stand. Will this correct itself or should I dispose of the chicks? Can someone please tell me the best way to do this? I think the chicks might have got too cold. I have corrected that situation. Makes me sad that this was most likely due to my error. Thanks in advance.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Can you tell why they can't stand? Just too weak, legs splaying out to sides, toes curled? Many things are correctable, but we need to know what problems they are dealing with. I had a chick last year that couldn't hold it's head up for 2 days, had curled toes which I corrected with shoes, splayed legs which I corrected with a brace, and he didn't eat for 4 days or drink for 5 days, he did make it and his leg problems were all corrected.

3. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Nope no splay leg or curled toes. Lays on belly with their legs not extended and feet under body. I did some research but couldn't find this condition. Chicks appear healthy otherwise? I will give them a day and see what happens. Thanks

4. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    The situation was taken care of. Sad day but survival of the fittest I guess all other 21 chicks are doing very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by