chicks coming!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onecent, Apr 7, 2008.

1. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

hi, i got an old 10 gal fish tank,(glass) i bought a metal reflector that holds a light bulb, the feed store man said since im using a glass tank, all i need is a 85 watt floodlight, he also said that would really keep them warm, im only getting 4 pullets silkies (hopefully) its also a red light, i have the starter feed, feeders & a quart waterer, oh, & lots of paper towels, is there anything else i need to know? these will be my first chickie babies!! i have grown chickens, with no problems, & these babies will be in the house.

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    This was my setup, worked for about 1 week, then had to upgrade bigger. I have 3 banties. I also only used a 75 watt regular bulb, worked great, and can raise/lower as needed. Good luck!!! Steph
    [​IMG]

3. onecent

yes, that looks exactly like what i have!! so, what did you upgrade too? so i can start looking!![​IMG]

4. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Actually, a very long toy box!!! I think it was supposed to be a hall bench, but used it for a toy box, now just put a baby gate on top to keep the babies in. Works great. Lemme find a pic....

5. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Here it is, although I did cut the baby gate to fit. They love it!!! I even added a few perches for them, and they still have running/flying room! Good luck!

[​IMG]

6. onecent

ok, ill start looking!! that looks perfect, im sure ill find something at the thrift store.....thanks for sharing!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by