chicks digging chicks

pen2paperamy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Culpeper, VA
Ok, so my rooster (hard to tell so early but I'm thinking rooster) is being hen pecked. I keep telling him to put on his big boy pants and peck back. . . .however, read on this site they should be separated but able to see each other for about a week before being reintroduced. Separated the big one and now . . .two others are being pecked. Right at the tail feathers. Can't be comfortable. I have separate all of them but in the same tote as they are just a little too young to put outside AND the coop isn't quite done yet.
What is their problem . . . .perhaps I'll try the tea tree oil when I put them back together if this problem persists. . . .these chicks are proving NOT so easy . . . I love my girls tho (even the big rooster). My husband however, who was not on board to begin with is losing his patience. . . .please say it gets better than this . . . .

Tea tree oil is toxic when ingested, which is what will happen if you put it where they are pecking. They are going to peck and even pull some feathers.. Mostly they need more space; hopefully this will resolve when they can be in their coop, and where they can get to the ground to scratch and peck. If they're young enough that you don't feel they are ready to go outside, I woudn't worry about the week. In many cases they can be outside younger than people think. Check this out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

Thanks for the information Fred. I put them outside to roam every opportunity I get each day. . . .they absolutely love it. I am lighting some fires to get the coop done quickly and then I think I'll have 6 happy chicks!

Back
Top Bottom