Chicks dont want to sleep on roost :s

polla37

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Reedsville
My chicks are about 8 weeks and I had a board separating them from the other half of the garage. The past few days they are all roosting on the board and not the roost that I have made for them. So today I took down the board and put up some chicken wire to the ceiling. Now they are sleeping in all different spots on the floor. should I place them on the roost so they understand it is for sleeping or should I just wait and see if they will figure it out on their own?I don't think it is relevant but they sleep off to the side of the chicken door and under the roost but they don't all sleep together.

Can't wait to hear the responses.. My 6 week olds not only wont sleep on a roost since I moved them outdoors 2 days ago.. They are sleeping on the cold ground in the run instead of in the coop.

You can try putting them up there a couple of times. Once one figures it out the rest should follow.
smile.png

I have 4 and 5 month olds that have three different roosts to choose from at varying heights. They choose to sleep on the angle braces all cramped in the bottom corner, hopping back to the top position as they get pushed out of the bottom, and then the wyandottes sleep in the roof rafters, and my two roosters fight over the feed can
th.gif
No matter how many times I move them to their roosts, I can here them thumping to the ground and fighting over the favorite spots.

I made a roost with I believe 5 or 6 different heights . During the day two of them will chilax on the second one but when it comes to night time they all sleep under it....... chickens I tell ya
4chsmu1.gif

Do you have any pictures of your roosts. How high are they and what are you using for your roosts?
3.gif

This is kinda like the one that I made I found it googling and this is as close as a one I can find for now

90938_build-chicken-roost-roosting-rod-12-800x800.jpg

My bottom row is closer to the ground here is a little little piece of it in the background I will put a better one up later when the sun comes up
90938_chickens_008.jpg

i have a 9 week old that is out with the 4 week olds. the 9 week one has been roosting for several weeks but the younger ones still sleep in a pile on the ground. i thought they would figure it out since the older one is doing it. i guess when they are ready they will
fl.gif

My brooder raised chicks normally start to roost on their own around 10 to 12 weeks of age. Until then they sleep on the floor. Some people report theirs start earlier, some later. Each flock has its own dynamics.

Mama takes the broody raised chicks to the roosts much earlier, usually by 4 weeks.

I personally don't worry about it. They like to cuddle on the floor with their buddies. When they are ready to roost, they roost.

They'll do it in their own time. My six week old BO's sometimes roost, sometimes sleep on the floor. They are reaching the "early teens" phase,
neither hen nor chick, in a shadow-land between cute and goofy.

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom