1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks dust bathing in yuck... what can I give them instead?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Fruit, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    My chicks are gonig on 2 weeks old and theyre reeeeally enjoying trying to dust bathe in the filth of the brooder. I want to give them a little area of something more beneficial to waller in.

What should I use?

2. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    How about some pine shaving?
    sandyj

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I turned a tupperware lid upside down and put Parakeet Grit in it for them to eat...well, a few of them decided it was a great place to dust bathe instead [​IMG]

So maybe you could use an upside down lid like that, and put clean sand in it (not salty beach sand), or even the parakeet grit. They'll eat it AND dust bathe in it.

4. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I can't wait to get home and try this.

5. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I cut the side down on one of my DD's shoe boxes and put some sand/dirt from outside in it and they will sit on the edge of the box as well as go in to dust bathe..... and it stays contained...

6. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I think they sell special dust at pet stores for animals like chinchillas who need a dry environment and who enjoy a dust bath...it's sterile and very fine. You could put a pan of that in their brooder away from food and water.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Just put a container of loam dirt in there.. you can also add a small % of wood ash.. If hey are in the house, don't do the wood ash as it is very fine and dusty.

8. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I used a paper plate with sandbox sand. Have fun watching them

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I used a large plant saucer and play sand, when they were still small. They loved it!

Of course, they loved the shavings, too. And all the other things they've dust bathed in, since! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by