chicks dying left and right please help!

At 100F, the black bin will make it seem much warmer. That's too hot. Raise the lamp so the temp is no higher than 85. Get rid of the lid as that holds the heat in. And the bin is likely too small to permit the chicks from finding a cool spot to shed excess heat.

If the chicks are standing at the edges panting, they are being cooked.

Well water that has been softened likely has a high sodium content. It may be dehydrating the chicks. Use bottled water.
thanks for the advice I had no Idea about the softened water. what about unfiltered well water? I will raise the heat lamp as well. they do seem comfortable though they sleep under the lamp and aren't at the edges.

they all seem happy then the next minute they are dead. I appreciate any help
Some, not all. They are fine and just fall over dead. Most things I can think of they should be lethargic before they die. It is spaced out over a few days, not all of them all at once. It's possible one or two could have a birth defect so they just fall over but not in those numbers. That seems warm but they should be laying around panting if they are too hot. Still, I agree they need to be able to get to a cooler spot. That's one of the problems with using a bin, they can hold in the heat and not provide a cooler spot if you are not careful. If they are not at the edges this isn't your problem.

My first thought was air quality. They have pretty delicate respiratory systems. If they were near an open flame like a gas water heater possibly the exhausts were settling in the brooder. The way you describe the brooder that doesn't sound likely or they would all be dead. A photo of the brooder might help. It does have decent ventilation?

I remember one similar story where the people actually got back with us when they found out what the problem was. Their kids had been feeding the chicks some old gerbil or guinea pig food as treats that had been poisoned while in storage. When you first get them they don't all start eating and drinking immediately. The first to eat or drink could fall victim if this were the problem. But it's been long enough that they all should have been eating and drinking for a while.

I assume you had your well water tested before you started drinking it? Softening it should not poison it. You aren't carrying it in a bucket that once held poison are you? I'd be more concerned over something like that than water that is safe for you to drink. I don't see anything wrong with switching to another water source though. It is possible there is something there.

I can't think of anything that fits those symptoms. It's not all of them at the same time (or reasonably close) and they aren't showing any symptoms before they die. It does not sound like anything from the hatchery or during shipping. I think it's something that is going on where you are.

Once my chickens are outside they get straight well water and I haven’t lost any from water. If water were an issue, outside, I would think they would all be negatively affected. Inside, my water is filtered so the chicks get what I drink. We don’t have a softener. I use my fridge water. I didn’t know water softener had sodium in it. This is definitely a learning experience not for the faint of heart.

Some water softeners use salt. When I used one of those I could not taste the salt and, more importantly, my wife could not. With her delicate system she would have known. Some bottled water has minerals added to the point that it upsets her system, she has to be careful which bottled water she drinks. As I said, she has a delicate system.

Hard water contains minerals dissolved in it. Soft water does not. Hard water can leave mineral deposits in plumbing and fixtures. Soft water can help remove those mineral deposits. Sometimes you can taste those minerals. Some of those minerals may be harmful to you, especially in higher concentrations. Some may even be trace minerals that are beneficial to you.

The ultimate soft water is ran water, especially after pollutants have been washed out of the air or off collecting surfaces. Well water, spring water, and stream or river water may be hard or soft. It depends on what rocks the water flows through and what minerals it absorbs from those rocks.

It's always possible the water is an issue, especially if the water softener isn't working properly. It won't hurt to change the water source. Right now you don't know what the problem is. But if the water is safe for you to drink, the possibility that the water is the problem is really way down on my worries. You are not feeling sick or falling over dead without warning like those chicks are. If you cannot taste the salt when you drink the water the concentration of salt can't be the problem.

I recommend you use a heat plate instead if you're concerned about overheating the chicks or providing them a place to cool off. You will need a bigger brooder if you use the heat plate .Totes can't be used with intense lights with the lids on unless all the sides and lid have holes in them to avoid overheating the chicks. Sorry for your loss.

Some, not all. They are fine and just fall over dead. Most things I can think of they should be lethargic before they die. It is spaced out over a few days, not all of them all at once. It's possible one or two could have a birth defect so they just fall over but not in those numbers. That seems warm but they should be laying around panting if they are too hot. Still, I agree they need to be able to get to a cooler spot. That's one of the problems with using a bin, they can hold in the heat and not provide a cooler spot if you are not careful. If they are not at the edges this isn't your problem.

My first thought was air quality. They have pretty delicate respiratory systems. If they were near an open flame like a gas water heater possibly the exhausts were settling in the brooder. The way you describe the brooder that doesn't sound likely or they would all be dead. A photo of the brooder might help. It does have decent ventilation?

I remember one similar story where the people actually got back with us when they found out what the problem was. Their kids had been feeding the chicks some old gerbil or guinea pig food as treats that had been poisoned while in storage. When you first get them they don't all start eating and drinking immediately. The first to eat or drink could fall victim if this were the problem. But it's been long enough that they all should have been eating and drinking for a while.

I assume you had your well water tested before you started drinking it? Softening it should not poison it. You aren't carrying it in a bucket that once held poison are you? I'd be more concerned over something like that than water that is safe for you to drink. I don't see anything wrong with switching to another water source though. It is possible there is something there.

I can't think of anything that fits those symptoms. It's not all of them at the same time (or reasonably close) and they aren't showing any symptoms before they die. It does not sound like anything from the hatchery or during shipping. I think it's something that is going on where you are.
the brooder is right next to our water heater and boiler. they are all eating and drinking. and after I switched water they seem more lively. I will probably switch rooms so they are in a more ventilated area. thanks for all the help. I raise chicks the same way every year and have never had a problem so this is so strange.

the brooder is right next to our water heater and boiler. they are all eating and drinking. and after I switched water they seem more lively. I will probably switch rooms so they are in a more ventilated area. thanks for all the help. I raise chicks the same way every year and have never had a problem so this is so strange.
If you haven't raised any chicks in this room before it may be too warm .

Back
Top Bottom