Chicks eating feathers?

Good morning chicken lovers i was wondering something about chicks and I have a few, about a month old and wanted to know if they are eating their feathers or if this is their mother hen i havent seen the pecking but still makes me wonder could it be them their mom or what can it be? View attachment 3491200
Hello! This has never happened to any of my birds, but if I had to guess what was going on, I would say it looks like a parasite. If they are all having the same problem, then it is likely that the lice or mites spread from one bird to another, until they all had them. It does not look like picking from other chickens, because there aren’t any missing feathers on the head. The only place on the chick’s body that seems to be missing feathers is where it can reach with its beak. That makes me think that it’s trying to catch something or itch itself. Look closely on the bald skin (as well as under the wings and neck feathers, around the vent, and on the face) for any little bugs, typically either white, red, or brown. I would definitely put some diatomaceous earth in the coop or run so they can dust bathe in it, and if you do find any parasites, treat them using a spray or other solution. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom