Chicks eating newspaper

Cholesterol man

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
I have 3 chicks that are 12 days old. They are eating newspaper which I have put as a bedding. It will hurt him ? Tell me what to do

I have 3 chicks that are 12 days old. They are eating newspaper which I have put as a bedding. It will hurt him ? Tell me what to do
“Your chicks truly are tiny, vulnerable little babies. They may be especially susceptible to ink toxicity because they actually will eat some of their bedding. ... This means if you use shredded newspaper for bedding, your chicks will be ingesting some toxic chemicals from the ink. There's no way around that.”

Since you only have three a small brooder will be fine for a few weeks. Something like a Rubbermaid storage tote or a twenty gallon aquarium will serve the purpose. You don't need pine shavings because you can change the bedding daily. Old towels or ready for rags clothing will work fine. Swap them out once a day so they don't get completely filthy. If you want you can rinse them with a garden hose in the backyard before you wash them.

This time of year you shouldn't need to worry about heat other than to make sure they're not going to overheat. Keep then out of direct sunlight and provide adequate ventilation.

And the easiest way to make sure they don't eat anything that isn't food is to ensure that have adequate food and clean water at all times. Ideally in some type of container that lets them get to it without spilling too much in the brooder. A one quart waterer would be fine, they have plastic ones for about $5 at most feed stores. For a feed tray you can use a pie tin or a cereal bowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom